* magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  6:51 Erik Colson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-02-23  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ehlo,

Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
.newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
something to fix in gnus ?

Best
--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  6:55 ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-02-23  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:

> Ehlo,
>
> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
> something to fix in gnus ?
>
> Best

wrong file, I meant the .newsr-dribble file...

--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  6:57 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-02-23  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
> something to fix in gnus ?

Where do you run magit-status?  On your home directory?

If magit asks for the saving of files not in the working directory of
the git repository you're doing magit-status on, then the fault is with
magit, I think.

Also, .newsrc.eld should probably be listed in the .gitignore file.
What's in it is better synchronized through something like gnus-sync.el
or the future(?) "cloud gnus".

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  7:10   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-02-23  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
>> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
>> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
>> something to fix in gnus ?
>
> Where do you run magit-status?  On your home directory?

nope. on a dev repo of mine where the dribble file is _not_.

> If magit asks for the saving of files not in the working directory of
> the git repository you're doing magit-status on, then the fault is with
> magit, I think.

yep, you're probably right

> Also, .newsrc.eld should probably be listed in the .gitignore file.
> What's in it is better synchronized through something like gnus-sync.el
> or the future(?) "cloud gnus".

as I mentioned, wrong file. It was the .newsrc-dribble file.

--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  7:11   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-02-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik Colson writes:
> Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:
>
>> Ehlo,
>>
>> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
>> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
>> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
>> something to fix in gnus ?
>>
>> Best
>
> wrong file, I meant the .newsr-dribble file...

Yes, this is expected behavior. I have the following in my .gnus to
circumvent that:

(add-hook 'gnus-started-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (when (buffer-live-p gnus-dribble-buffer)
	      (with-current-buffer gnus-dribble-buffer
		(setq buffer-save-without-query t)))))

-David

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  7:17     ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-02-23  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Erik Colson writes:
>> Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:
>>
>>> Ehlo,
>>>
>>> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
>>> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
>>> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
>>> something to fix in gnus ?
>>>
>>> Best
>>
>> wrong file, I meant the .newsr-dribble file...
>
> Yes, this is expected behavior. I have the following in my .gnus to

Thanks David,

So why is this expected behavior ?

Best
--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  9:05 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-02-23  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-02-23 14:51 +0800, Erik Colson wrote:
> Ehlo,
>
> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
> something to fix in gnus ?
>
> Best

Set magit-save-some-buffers to nil and be happy about it. I think this
magit feature needs some refinement. Asking to save files not related to
the git repo is very confusing.

BTW, any idea why no recent emails show up in
gmane.comp.version-control.git.magit? Has the mailing address changed?

Best wishes,
Leo

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  9:16   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW, any idea why no recent emails show up in
> gmane.comp.version-control.git.magit? Has the mailing address changed?

No idea.  And it's a google list, so if Gmane has fallen off the
subscription list, the list admin will have to add the Gmane address
back again.

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  9:22   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-02-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo writes:
> On 2011-02-23 14:51 +0800, Erik Colson wrote:
>> Ehlo,
>>
>> Everytime I launch magit-status, Emacs asks me to save
>> .newsrc.eld. Answering yes gives no problem but this is not the
>> behaviour I'd expect. Should this be corrected in magit or is there
>> something to fix in gnus ?
>>
>> Best
>
> Set magit-save-some-buffers to nil and be happy about it. I think this
> magit feature needs some refinement. Asking to save files not related to
> the git repo is very confusing.

Yes. Magit could ask git beforehand which files are actually in the
repo.

But I wonder: is there any reason to not set buffer-save-without-query
to 't' as default for the dribble file?

Many packages which call external commands do call `save-some-buffer'
(compile and AucTeX, for example), so they all ask if the dribble file
should be saved.

-David

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23  9:32     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> But I wonder: is there any reason to not set buffer-save-without-query
> to 't' as default for the dribble file?

Probably now.  I've now added this.

* Re: magit and gnus
@ 2011-02-23 16:08     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-02-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-02-23 17:16 +0800, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> No idea. And it's a google list, so if Gmane has fallen off the
> subscription list, the list admin will have to add the Gmane address
> back again.

Thanks.
Seems to be working for the email I just sent.

Leo