From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: The contrib directory? (was: Error in latest Oort build.)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:39:41 -0400	[thread overview]

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> Assuming we want to use any of these packages, what is the preferred
>> method for building them, and what's the recommended place where they
>> should get installed?
>
> [ ... ]
>
> There are a couple of different reasons for files in contrib:
>
>   * provide functionality available in Emacs 21.x to older versions
>   * provide code that provide Gnus functionality, but is not assigned
>     to the FSF.
>
> You'll have to examine each file, and see what you need to install.

Thanks.

And as for the second part of my question: what's the recommended place
for installing the "contrib" packages that I might choose to utilize?  I
presume that they should not go into the gnus/lisp directory.

I know that I could easily put them in my own, site-local lisp
directory, but it seems to me that they should go somewhere connected to
the gnus tree, since they depend on the currently installed version of
gnus, and are actually an ancillary part of gnus.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman