* [bbdb]Give me a break..
@ 2000-07-12 14:29 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-07-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[posted to bbdb list and ding list because of the many knowledgable
bbdb users on ding]

I've updated from bbdb-2.00.06 in an effort to get clear away from
bbdb's nasty habit of gabbing incessantly about mismatched names.
I've reset:
 (setq bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches t)  from t to nil / nil to t
approximately  572 times : ).  bbdb refuses to just shut up.

So upgraded to bbdb-2.2  Still the incessant blabber but worse, if I
try to search for something by pressing:
M-x bbdb <RET> and giving a string  I only get:

  Wrong type argument: stringp, 49

This is after saying yes to the initial prompt that asks if I want to
update my database to the new format.

Fortunately I saved the original .bbdb so can return to the old format.

I'm retreating to 2.00 but would like some code that silences bbdbs
blabbering.

I don't want to know about mismatched names, mismatched addresses or
any kind of mismatch.  Nor when or what bbdb is `frobnicating', or any
other of bbdb's (hyper) activities unless I ask about it.

I don't want a pause when opening messages as bbdb makes corrections
it thinks I need.   I want to make that decision.  Bbdb is over active
in my opinion and a constant source of aggravation with various pauses
etc.

The defaults should be resounding silence unless a variable like:

`bbdb-nag-me-until-I-would-rather-set-my-hair-on-fire-than-start-bbdb'

Is set to `t' by the user.