* combining multiple gnus configurations?
@ 1997-01-06  9:23 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1997-01-06  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Please forgive me for not consulting the list archives, I'm not
connected at the moment, and only have a 14.4 connection available now
anyways.  There's nothing about this in the mail I have saved away
though.)

I use Gnus at home and at work.  At work, I use our local news server
as my native server, and an nnml secondary.  At home, I use an nnml
native server (totally separate from the nnml data at work), and pull
in a few newsgroups from the nntp server at work.

Right now, I'm travelling.  I've copied both configurations and spool
areas onto my laptop, and set up a POP server at home.  I moved most of
the differing config information into .gnus (which I've renamed and
stuffed in the spool areas).  Now I can read "work" mail and news, and
it works fine.  I can read "home" mail and news, and it works fine too.

I can't do both at once, though, and I'd like to.  I don't want to quit
Gnus and restart to go between them.  I don't want to contact the nntp
server twice (especially not from the hotel room!).  And I don't want
to run two big Emacsen on this little laptop; I don't currently have
the RAM to keep them and X active, never mind with Netscape or gcc
running too.

Is there any hope?

Right now I've got two ideas:

1. Hack Gnus so I can run two sessions simultaneously, feeding them
different configuration information.  Most of the interesting global
state would have to be made "per-session", and each buffer would need
to retain info about which session it belongs to.

This would still leave me with two nntp connections, but would at least
let me read both mail spools.

2. Merge the two (well, for generality, N) configurations to get one,
and separate it into two (N) when I'm done.

The state to be combined would include .newsrc.eld, the native and
secondary select methods, and the cache.  (Probably other stuff too,
that I don't use.)

The combination could be done on the fly, with data read from or
written to multiple configuration areas depending on where the group
concerned came from.  Or it could be done as one big batch job,
producing a combined configuration that can be saved away, or split
apart again when desired.

This assumes the presentation control variables and other global state
are the same, with only per-server differences.  That's not completely
true, but I could probably deal with that restriction.  *If* the nntp
servers can be combined reasonably (requiring matching per-server
variables, after copying the global settings into each server?), I'd
need only one connection to the server.

I think the latter sounds easier, though neither sounds like my idea of
a fun time.  Before I either start coding or give up and suffer with
the status quo (haven't decided yet), I thought I'd see if anyone had
comments, suggestions, code, free laptop memory :-), or anything....

Ken

P.S.  Yes, I'm thinking about buying more laptop RAM.  But I often *do*
want Gnus and Netscape and gcc all running at the same time, so I'm not
convinced I won't still want this.  Heck, I want them all running, and
I want to be able to edit files while Gnus is fetching info from the
servers.  (Poor little 486 can hardly keep up with me...)  And more
laptop memory doesn't help with the multiple nntp server connections.

* Re: combining multiple gnus configurations?
@ 1997-01-06 23:19 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-01-06 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Ken> I use Gnus at home and at work.  At work, I use our local news
  Ken> server as my native server, and an nnml secondary.  At home, I
  Ken> use an nnml native server (totally separate from the nnml data
  Ken> at work), and pull in a few newsgroups from the nntp server at
  Ken> work.

I've got a similar problem.  My situation is a little different,
though:

Both at home and at work, I've got nntp as primary and nnml as
secondary select method.  The NNTP servers for home and work are
different.

I use gnus-no-server to read the work email without trying to connect
to the work NNTP server.  This would deal with your multiple NNTP
connections problem.

Fyi, I also have just one .gnus file to read both work and home stuff,
but I've got different .newsrc.eld files (.newsrc-newswork.eld and
.newsrc-newshome.eld where newswork and newshome are the work and home
NNTP servers, respectively).

This wasn't my idea, though, Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com>
suggested it -- thanks a lot, Rich!

I agree, though, that it would be nice to read all stuff at the same
time.  For that, it would be sufficient if one had a backend that
stores _all_ information about messages, including tickedness,
answeredness, dormantness, and so on, in its own files (rather than
.newsrc.eld).  That way, one could just move around the backend files
and wouldn't lose any information.  The machinery seems to be there
(there's some backend function for dealing with marks), it's just got
to be applied.

Is this at all meaningful?
kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte

* Re: combining multiple gnus configurations?
@ 1997-01-07 15:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-07 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> Right now, I'm travelling.  I've copied both configurations and spool
> areas onto my laptop, and set up a POP server at home.  I moved most of
> the differing config information into .gnus (which I've renamed and
> stuffed in the spool areas).  Now I can read "work" mail and news, and
> it works fine.  I can read "home" mail and news, and it works fine too.
>
> I can't do both at once, though, and I'd like to.

I think you should be able to just define two different nnml servers
in the server buffer...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: combining multiple gnus configurations?
@ 1997-01-07 22:37   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1997-01-07 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I think you should be able to just define two different nnml servers
> in the server buffer...

How do I merge the data from an existing .newsrc.eld for that server?
And how do I split it out again later?  I could do it manually with
lots of delete-non-matching-lines and replace-string calls, but I'd
prefer to have a way to do it automatically.

* Re: combining multiple gnus configurations?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-08 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > I think you should be able to just define two different nnml servers
> > in the server buffer...
>
> How do I merge the data from an existing .newsrc.eld for that server?
> And how do I split it out again later?  I could do it manually with
> lots of delete-non-matching-lines and replace-string calls, but I'd
> prefer to have a way to do it automatically.

Oh, uhm, that's a bit more difficult.  Uhm.  I'll add it to the todo
list.  :-)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen