* Why is Gnus decompressing my attachment?
@ 2011-09-29 19:24 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-29 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm not sure why sending is failing either ... but the big mystery here
is why Gnus/message would decompress the archive.

Sending...
XZ uncompressing /tmp/YAC2011.mov.xz...done
Sending via mail...
message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 75

Hints?

No Gnus v0.18
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.36)
 of 2011-09-12 on pluto.luannocracy.com
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.8 running at localhost (my fqdn: pluto.boostpro.com)
500 Unknown command

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Why is Gnus decompressing my attachment?
@ 2011-09-30  1:43 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-09-30  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I'm not sure why sending is failing either ... but the big mystery here
> is why Gnus/message would decompress the archive.
>
> Sending...
> XZ uncompressing /tmp/YAC2011.mov.xz...done
> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 75
>
> Hints?
>
> No Gnus v0.18

I'd suggest cloning a new snapshot.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Why is Gnus decompressing my attachment?
@ 2011-09-30  2:43 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2011-09-30  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams wrote:
> I'm not sure why sending is failing either ... but the big mystery here
> is why Gnus/message would decompress the archive.

> Sending...
> XZ uncompressing /tmp/YAC2011.mov.xz...done
> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 75

Hm, I don't know why it failed.  But decompression should not be
to blame.  Decompressed data are never passed to m-s-m-w-sendmail.

Decompression is done for only determining the charset of
a compressed part; the charset is added to the Content-Type header
of a part if successfully detected.  This is mainly for Gnus users'
convenience.  Try viewing the part attached to this message using
the `i' command.
(A Japanese text will be displayed in a human-readable way in spite
 of the part that is charset-encoded and compressed.  This is
 convenient when viewing a compressed patch file that contains
 non-ASCII text and is sent as an application/octet-stream part,
 for example.  Currently only tar archives are excluded from
 detecting charset.)

You may want to try another approach.  Good luck.

[-- Attachment #2: Japanese.txt.gz --]

* Re: Why is Gnus decompressing my attachment?
@ 2011-09-30 15:46   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-30 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Thu Sep 29 2011, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka-AT-jpl.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> I'm not sure why sending is failing either ... but the big mystery here
>
>> is why Gnus/message would decompress the archive.
>
>> Sending...
>> XZ uncompressing /tmp/YAC2011.mov.xz...done
>> Sending via mail...
>> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 75
>
> Hm, I don't know why it failed.  But decompression should not be
> to blame.  Decompressed data are never passed to m-s-m-w-sendmail.
>
> Decompression is done for only determining the charset of
> a compressed part; the charset is added to the Content-Type header
> of a part if successfully detected.  This is mainly for Gnus users'
> convenience.  Try viewing the part attached to this message using
> the `i' command.
> (A Japanese text will be displayed in a human-readable way in spite
>  of the part that is charset-encoded and compressed.  This is
>  convenient when viewing a compressed patch file that contains
>  non-ASCII text and is sent as an application/octet-stream part,
>  for example.  Currently only tar archives are excluded from
>  detecting charset.)
>
> You may want to try another approach.  Good luck.

Thanks.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing