* Couldn't request group
@ 2001-08-17 18:10 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2001-08-17 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per

My system rebooted unexpectedly, which corrupted by main mail directory.
Now, when I start gnus, new mail is readand split into appropriate groups:
nnml:mail.misc, nnml:mail.egcs, etc.  The weird thing is I can read
the mail filed into special-purpose groups (such as mail.egcs), but when
I try to select the default mail group nnml:mail.misc, I get:

        Can't request group nnml:mail.misc: 411 No Such Group

I have no idea what this is.  I've tried patching my
~/.newsrc-news.pacbell.net.eld file, but no difference.
I removed the mail/misc/.cache directory.  What next to try?

This is running gnus 5.8.8 on xemacs 21.4.3 on Re Hat 7.0.

(Note that this is a separate problem from my previous message,
where I used imap.  In this case I am not trying to use imap,
but just access my old nnml directory directly on the server machine.)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Couldn't request group
@ 2001-08-17 18:28 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

>         Can't request group nnml:mail.misc: 411 No Such Group
>
> I have no idea what this is.  I've tried patching my
> ~/.newsrc-news.pacbell.net.eld file, but no difference.
> I removed the mail/misc/.cache directory.  What next to try?

Try `g' in the server buffer (`^' from the group buffer), the active
file is probably b0rked.

* Re: Couldn't request group
@ 2001-08-17 20:30   ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2001-08-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Try `g' in the server buffer (`^' from the group buffer), the active
> file is probably b0rked.

That didn't work for me.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Couldn't request group
@ 2001-08-17 20:49     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

>> Try `g' in the server buffer (`^' from the group buffer), the active
>> file is probably b0rked.
>
> That didn't work for me.

Hm, is there a ~/Mail/mail.misc/ (or whatever) directory with articles
in it?  Is there a .overview file in the directory? Is there an entry
for it in the active file?

Did you quote the error message case sensitively btw?

        Can't request group nnml:mail.misc: 411 No Such Group

The error message from nnml is "No such group".  In fact, "No Such
Group" doesn't exist in Gnus AFAICT, so perhaps it comes from your
news server, which would mean that the group definition is weird.
What does `G E' on the group say?

* Re: Couldn't request group
@ 2001-08-18 19:23       ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2001-08-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Hm, is there a ~/Mail/mail.misc/ (or whatever) directory with articles
> in it?

Yes (~/Mail/mail/misc).

> Is there a .overview file in the directory?

No, there wasn't.

> Is there an entry for it in the active file?

Is the active file the .eld file?  If so, yes, there was an entry.

> Did you quote the error message case sensitively btw?
>
>         Can't request group nnml:mail.misc: 411 No Such Group
>
> The error message from nnml is "No such group".

It could have been that.  I didn't cut and paste - XEmacs doesn't
allow selecting text in the message buffer.

Anyway, I got a suggestion in mail which worked (though it lost all my
marks).  And it is academic now (for me at least), as I have converted
mail.misc to a mbx archive that I've accessing via imap.  (I've been
wanting to convert to imap for a while now.)
--
	--Per Bothner