From: Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch>
Subject: Re: agent-score . file
Date: 28 Sep 1999 19:55:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Since I have v0.97 most of my problems with letting the Agent use
'normal' scoring rules for download score have gone. I can't be
sure if it's related to the new version (because it had switched
between working and not working mysteriously before) but it looks
like. With a few exceptions (see below) all high scored articles
in all the groups are now downloaded like they should. This includes
now the scoring rules of all.SCORE and works with (agent-score . file)
in topics parameters. I can also change from (agent-score . file) to
'nil' in group parameters, all that did not work before for me.

I have very few articles where it still does not work. All of them
have non ASCII characters in their scoring rules. (Other rules work
in spite such characters). Normal scoring does work on these messages,
so I guess it must have to do with different en/decoding of these
characters when doing normal scoring and when the agent does his thing.

(BTW   What made my search for the suspected bug so difficult, that I
took scoring on 'Kai Großjohann' - with that 'ß' in it - as my main
test case... on one hand I do find his messages worth reading and
then there are so many of them, there's always something to test on ;-)
When I tested two different ways of doing it I did take one setup
for the english, and another one for the german groups, which was
very foolish of me... Kai seems to have experimented with different
header encodings in the german groups (as he reported here) in the
same time... Can you imagine how confused I was? )

Robert Epprecht