Gnus development mailing list
From: Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Using Gnus from emacs-27 and emacs-28
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 19:45:07 +0530

I have encountered a very unusual issue.

I use Gnus with emacs-27 as well as emacs-28. I know that we
keep things backward compatible. But my problem is probably related to
forward compatibility. ;-)

Because the .newsrc.eld is written by Gnus on-exit, probably it has some
entry that is not letting me use the Gmail SMTP in emacs-27. Other SMTPs
are working fine, but I don’t use them much.

Under emacs-27, whenever I try so send email using X-Message-SMTP-method
"smtp", I get this error,

        process smtpmail not running

This happens only with Gmail SMTP.

What could be the cause? and perhaps a workaround/fix.