* large *Gnus Backlog* buffer
@ 2020-07-22 11:34 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-22 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello all,

I tend to start up emacs and keep it running, with gnus, for days if not
weeks.  Today, I checked out Emacs's memory usage (M-x memory-usage RET)
and found that I have a ~ *Gnus Backlog*~ buffer that is >70MB in
size.  Not a real worry on most of my systems but I'm curious:

1. what function does this buffer have in gnus?
2. can this be pruned back (manually or otherwise)?

thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: large *Gnus Backlog* buffer
@ 2020-07-22 12:09 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-07-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

On Jul 22 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> 1. what function does this buffer have in gnus?

See gnus-keep-backlog.

> 2. can this be pruned back (manually or otherwise)?

Customize gnus-keep-backlog.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: large *Gnus Backlog* buffer
@ 2020-07-22 12:09 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-07-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

    Eric> Hello all,
    Eric> I tend to start up emacs and keep it running, with gnus, for days if not
    Eric> weeks.  Today, I checked out Emacs's memory usage (M-x memory-usage RET)
    Eric> and found that I have a ~ *Gnus Backlog*~ buffer that is >70MB in
    Eric> size.  Not a real worry on most of my systems but I'm curious:

    Eric> 1. what function does this buffer have in gnus?
    Eric> 2. can this be pruned back (manually or otherwise)?

I think this should help:

    gnus-keep-backlog is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
    Its value is 20

      You can customize this variable.
      Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 19.32.

    Documentation:
    If non-nil, Gnus will keep read articles for later re-retrieval.
    If it is a number N, then Gnus will only keep the last N articles
    read.  If it is neither nil nor a number, Gnus will keep all read
    articles.  This is not a good idea.

Thatʼs definitely a doc-string written by Lars :-)

Thereʼs also:

    gnus-backlog-shutdown is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
    `gnus-bcklg.el'.

    (gnus-backlog-shutdown)

    Clear all backlog variables and buffers.

Robert

* Re: large *Gnus Backlog* buffer
@ 2020-07-22 12:33   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-22 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thank you all.  As always, I must learn to RTFM!  gnus-keep-backlog is
actually a variable I customized in the past. :-P

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid