On 2016-01-05 17:15, Eric Abrahamsen writes: > Alan Schmitt writes: > >> On 2016-01-05 09:43, Eric Abrahamsen writes: >> >>> I think the problem is that you can't actually use notmuch with the >>> nnimap backend. >> >> Ah, I see. I could switch to the nnmaildir backend, but I prefer to let >> dovecot handle all the mail manipulation. >> >>> But I think the idea is: if you're using an IMAP server, you're supposed >>> to be letting the server do the searching, and give you the results. >>> Searching the filesystem directly is kind of "going behind the server's >>> back". I don't actually know if that would cause any real problems, but >>> the code is definitely set up with that assumption in mind. >>> >>> Maybe try the FTS dovecot plugin? >> >> I should really do that (it's in my long todo list). I first need to >> convert my installation to use a single dovecot instance, though. (A >> couple hours later …) OK, done. I'll look into FTS (probably Lucene) >> a little bit later. >> >> Thanks for the suggestion, > > Well I'm not saying you've got to do it this way! I'm not trying to > advocate one method over the other, as I really don't have a > comprehensive understanding of how all this works. I don't want to lead > anyone astray... I want to try it at some point, to compare to what I've been doing (using either notmuch or mu4e). And I really needed to get my dovecot config straightened out, which has just happened. So do not worry, I'm going astray all by myself ;) Alan -- OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7 Athmospheric CO₂ (Updated December 28, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 402.60 ppm