From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:48:04 +1100	[thread overview]

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> Regarding Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.;
>>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> adds:
>
>    >>
>    >> Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?
>
>    > It could be any number of things, but one of the common
>    > issues with offlineimap that I have is:
>
>    > When you add a new message to a group on the "client"
>    > side of an IMAP <=> IMAP sync pair, offlineimap will
>    > upload it to the server, delete it from the client,
>    > then add a new copy with an extra header.
>
>    > Flags are preserved, though, so the message will show
>    > an a "new" item, but already be read when Gnus looks at
>    > it.  This would show in any folder where you added
>    > messages with IMAP on the client side.
>
>    > offlineimap with a mutable client side (eg: Maildir)
>    > doesn't show this problem because it doesn't need to
>    > delete and add a message to add the extra header.
>
> But isn't this also a dovecot issue then?

I don't understand, but I doubt it: everything here is doing exactly what it
says on the box, including the IMAP server, Dovecot, offline-imap, and Gnus.

> It seems that you use such a configuration. I have set up my dovecot
> offlineimap configuration more than a year ago and don't remember the
> details. Could I change the setting? Can you tell me how.

I don't understand what setting you are imagining changing, but I don't think
it exists: Dovecot and offline-imap can't (to the best of my knowledge) be
told to change the IMAP protocol or anything, so you are stuck with this nasty
edge case.

The new NNIMAP rewrite might help, but I don't actually know.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707