* (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
@ 2010-10-25 10:00 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-25 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I wrote about this some time ago but never saw my mail
posted.
Just in case again: I am using Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule,
nognus 0.11 and the nnimap backend for reading my mail.
My mail I receive using offlineimap and running the dovecot
server on my Laptop. That is why I don't use the agent any
more.

However in every session gnus indicates in several nnimap
groups unread message, where in fact there are not. When
visiting the group *no* unread messages are shown and after
leaving that group in fact the indication of the  unread
messages disappears.

Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
@ 2010-10-25 13:07 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-10-25 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I wrote about this some time ago but never saw my mail posted.  Just in case
> again: I am using Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule, nognus 0.11 and the nnimap backend
> for reading my mail.  My mail I receive using offlineimap and running the
> dovecot server on my Laptop. That is why I don't use the agent any more.
>
> However in every session gnus indicates in several nnimap groups unread
> message, where in fact there are not. When visiting the group *no* unread
> messages are shown and after leaving that group in fact the indication of
> the unread messages disappears.
>
> Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?

It could be any number of things, but one of the common issues with
offlineimap that I have is:

When you add a new message to a group on the "client" side of an IMAP <=> IMAP
sync pair, offlineimap will upload it to the server, delete it from the
client, then add a new copy with an extra header.

Flags are preserved, though, so the message will show an a "new" item, but
already be read when Gnus looks at it.  This would show in any folder where
you added messages with IMAP on the client side.

offlineimap with a mutable client side (eg: Maildir) doesn't show this problem
because it doesn't need to delete and add a message to add the extra header.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
@ 2010-10-25 13:38   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Regarding Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.;
>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> adds:

   >> Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?

   > It could be any number of things, but one of the common
   > issues with offlineimap that I have is:

   > When you add a new message to a group on the "client"
   > side of an IMAP <=> IMAP sync pair, offlineimap will
   > upload it to the server, delete it from the client,
   > then add a new copy with an extra header.

   > Flags are preserved, though, so the message will show
   > an a "new" item, but already be read when Gnus looks at
   > it.  This would show in any folder where you added
   > messages with IMAP on the client side.

   > offlineimap with a mutable client side (eg: Maildir)
   > doesn't show this problem because it doesn't need to
   > delete and add a message to add the extra header.

But isn't this also a dovecot issue then?

It seems that you use such a configuration. I have set up my
dovecot offlineimap configuration more than a year ago and
don't remember the details. Could I change the setting? Can
you tell me how.

@ 2010-10-25 14:21   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-25 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pittman; +Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> I wrote about this some time ago but never saw my mail posted.  Just in case
>> again: I am using Xemacs 21.4.22 Mule, nognus 0.11 and the nnimap backend
>> for reading my mail.  My mail I receive using offlineimap and running the
>> dovecot server on my Laptop. That is why I don't use the agent any more.
>>
>> However in every session gnus indicates in several nnimap groups unread
>> message, where in fact there are not. When visiting the group *no* unread
>> messages are shown and after leaving that group in fact the indication of
>> the unread messages disappears.
>>
>> Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?
>
> It could be any number of things, but one of the common issues with
> offlineimap that I have is:
>
> When you add a new message to a group on the "client" side of an IMAP <=> IMAP
> sync pair, offlineimap will upload it to the server, delete it from the
> client, then add a new copy with an extra header.
>
> Flags are preserved, though, so the message will show an a "new" item, but
> already be read when Gnus looks at it.  This would show in any folder where
> you added messages with IMAP on the client side.
>
> offlineimap with a mutable client side (eg: Maildir) doesn't show this problem
> because it doesn't need to delete and add a message to add the extra header.
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

Hi Daniel,

FYI : I offlineimap between a local dovecot and a remote gmail and am
pretty sure I dont see this behaviour.

regards

@ 2010-10-25 14:45     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Regarding Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.; Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> adds:

   > Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
   >> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >>

   > Hi Daniel,

   > FYI : I offlineimap between a local dovecot and a remote gmail and am
   > pretty sure I dont see this behaviour.

Are you using GNU emacs or Xemacs?

Uwe

* Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
@ 2010-10-25 15:54       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Regarding Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.; Richard Riley
> <rileyrg@googlemail.com> adds:
>
>    > Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>    >> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >>

>    > Hi Daniel,
>
>    > FYI : I offlineimap between a local dovecot and a remote gmail and am
>    > pretty sure I dont see this behaviour.
>
> Are you using GNU emacs or Xemacs?
>
> Uwe

(From the header)

* Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.
@ 2010-10-26  4:48     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-10-26  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> Regarding Re: (fake) unread messages using nnimap.;
>>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> adds:
>
>    >>
>    >> Does anybody know about this problem and what to do?
>
>    > It could be any number of things, but one of the common
>    > issues with offlineimap that I have is:
>
>    > When you add a new message to a group on the "client"
>    > side of an IMAP <=> IMAP sync pair, offlineimap will
>    > upload it to the server, delete it from the client,
>    > then add a new copy with an extra header.
>
>    > Flags are preserved, though, so the message will show
>    > an a "new" item, but already be read when Gnus looks at
>    > it.  This would show in any folder where you added
>    > messages with IMAP on the client side.
>
>    > offlineimap with a mutable client side (eg: Maildir)
>    > doesn't show this problem because it doesn't need to
>    > delete and add a message to add the extra header.
>
> But isn't this also a dovecot issue then?

I don't understand, but I doubt it: everything here is doing exactly what it
says on the box, including the IMAP server, Dovecot, offline-imap, and Gnus.

> It seems that you use such a configuration. I have set up my dovecot
> offlineimap configuration more than a year ago and don't remember the
> details. Could I change the setting? Can you tell me how.

I don't understand what setting you are imagining changing, but I don't think
it exists: Dovecot and offline-imap can't (to the best of my knowledge) be
told to change the IMAP protocol or anything, so you are stuck with this nasty
edge case.

The new NNIMAP rewrite might help, but I don't actually know.

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707