From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Discussion: To del cached articles upon zapping group info?
Date: 14 Nov 1996 10:01:20 +0100	[thread overview]

David Moore <dmoore@UCSD.EDU> writes:

> 	I'm preferring the negative number scheme myself.

The problem is that Gnus has reserved negative numbers to articles
that it don't know the number of.  Articles fetched by Message-ID, for
instance, and pseudo-articles.  Lots of code depend on this.

> 	Another approach would be to put the articles in the cache
> numbered 1..N, and store the delta N as a group parameter, and then just
> add N to all article numbers returned by the backend for that group.
> This adds more overhead to article fetching, and makes Xref's rather
> challenging.

Indeed.

> 	Or you could let article numbers (internally to gnus) come as
> dotted pairs: (component-number . article-number).  And you'd just
> assign increasing component-numbers to each new nntp server you get.
> Going this path means changing a lot more internal code, but you might
> be able to leverage the functionality for nnvirtual and IMAP.  Although,
> it's probably not worth it. ;)

I don't think so either.

This is a rather obscure problem -- what to do with cached articles
when changing nntp servers.  I'm inclined to just say that this isn't
something that's outside Gnus' scope and let the user deal with it
herself.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen