* Gcc to IMAP is slow
@ 2010-10-25  8:03 Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2010-10-25  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In order to preserve threads as much as possible, I Gcc my own messages
both into the folder I am in, and to the Sent-folder (via
gnus-outgoing-message-group)). But this is now much slower than before
the IMAP rewrite. My emacs can get unresponsive for many seconds after I
have sent a message. The imap log shows that gnus is doing a IMAP SEARCH
for a Message-Id, which I guess can be slow on large folders:

09:45:15 920 SELECT "INBOX"
09:45:15 921 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS
09:45:16 922 APPEND "INBOX" {786}
09:45:16 923 UID SEARCH HEADER Message-Id "<1ssjzuk96c.fsf@voll.uninett.no>"
09:45:22 924 SELECT "Sent"
09:45:22 925 SELECT "Sent"
09:45:22 926 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS
09:45:22 927 APPEND "Sent" {786}
09:45:22 928 UID SEARCH HEADER Message-Id "<1ssjzuk96c.fsf@voll.uninett.no>"

Any hints on how to fix this?

 - Vegard V -

* Re: Gcc to IMAP is slow
@ 2010-10-25 17:16 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-10-25 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> In order to preserve threads as much as possible, I Gcc my own messages
> both into the folder I am in,

FWIW I do the same thing with BCC and letting it hit the same procmail
filtering that handles incoming email.

> and to the Sent-folder (via gnus-outgoing-message-group)).

I don't do that, though.  Why two copies?

* Re: Gcc to IMAP is slow
@ 2010-10-25 21:42   ` Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2010-10-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:16:44 +0200 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> In order to preserve threads as much as possible, I Gcc my own messages
>> both into the folder I am in,
>
> FWIW I do the same thing with BCC and letting it hit the same procmail
> filtering that handles incoming email.

Yes, I could do that, but it seems kinda silly to send the message on
this round-trip, when I can stash it directly in the correct folder
directly.

>> and to the Sent-folder (via gnus-outgoing-message-group)).
>
> I don't do that, though.  Why two copies?

Primary laziness, it makes searching for my own sent messages much
easier.

 - Vegard V -

* Re: Gcc to IMAP is slow
@ 2010-10-29 22:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-29 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Vegard Vesterheim <vegard.vesterheim@uninett.no> writes:

> In order to preserve threads as much as possible, I Gcc my own messages
> both into the folder I am in, and to the Sent-folder (via
> gnus-outgoing-message-group)). But this is now much slower than before
> the IMAP rewrite. My emacs can get unresponsive for many seconds after I
> have sent a message. The imap log shows that gnus is doing a IMAP SEARCH
> for a Message-Id, which I guess can be slow on large folders:
>
> 09:45:15 920 SELECT "INBOX"
> 09:45:15 921 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS

This seems unnecessary and probably very slow.  Fixed now.

> 09:45:16 922 APPEND "INBOX" {786}
> 09:45:16 923 UID SEARCH HEADER Message-Id "<1ssjzuk96c.fsf@voll.uninett.no>"

However, this is necessary to mark messages as read if you have
`gnus-gcc-mark-as-read'.  If not, it's probably not very useful, but it
isn't slow on the servers I've tried it on...