* Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-20 11:25 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-10-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Instead of saying:

Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?:

d: Remove non-printable characters and send                  r: Replace non-printable characters with "." and send
i: Ignore non-printable characters and send                  e: Continue editing

Why not say

Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?:
d: Remove non-printable characters and send
r: Replace non-printable characters with "." and send
i: Ignore non-printable characters and send
e: Continue editing

I.e., more tidy.

Also say
i: Ignore non-printable characters and send them too anyway

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-20 11:58 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2010-10-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Instead of saying:
>
> Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?:
>
> d: Remove non-printable characters and send                  r: Replace non-printable characters with "." and send
> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send                  e: Continue editing
>
> Why not say
>
> Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?:
> d: Remove non-printable characters and send
> r: Replace non-printable characters with "." and send
> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send
> e: Continue editing

Yes, plus either have y == i and n == e, or phrase the question as
'Choose an option: d/r/i/e/?

> I.e., more tidy.
>
> Also say
> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send them too anyway

I think the existing wording is fine.

Robert

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-20 14:52   ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2010-10-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>> Also say
>> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send them too anyway
>
> I think the existing wording is fine.

I think the point is that "Ignore" leaves you wondering if the n-p
chars will be sent or not.  You can figure it out easily enough by
reading the other choices, of course.  But why should you have to
figure it out? :-)

"Keep non-printable characters and send"?

Michael

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-20 15:14     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-20 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:52:35 -0400 Michael Cook <waxrat@gmail.com> wrote:

MC> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Also say
>>> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send them too anyway
>>
>> I think the existing wording is fine.

MC> I think the point is that "Ignore" leaves you wondering if the n-p
MC> chars will be sent or not.  You can figure it out easily enough by
MC> reading the other choices, of course.  But why should you have to
MC> figure it out? :-)

MC> "Keep non-printable characters and send"?

"Send as is"?

Ted

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-21  0:38       ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2010-10-21  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> I think the existing wording is fine.
>
> MC> I think the point is that "Ignore" leaves you wondering if the n-p
> MC> chars will be sent or not.  You can figure it out easily enough by
> MC> reading the other choices, of course.  But why should you have to
> MC> figure it out? :-)
>
> MC> "Keep non-printable characters and send"?
>
> "Send as is"?

Perfect.

"Already perfect"? :-)

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-21  1:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-21  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Why not say
>
> Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?:
> d: Remove non-printable characters and send
> r: Replace non-printable characters with "." and send
> i: Ignore non-printable characters and send
> e: Continue editing
>
> I.e., more tidy.

That's what it does when I try it.

* Re: Non-printable characters message too spacy
@ 2010-10-21  1:29       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-21  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes: