From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: wallowing out of the spam quagmire
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:27:55 -0500	[thread overview]

We all notice how bad it is getting spamwise...

I'm about to give up with my old approach of running spamassassin and
helping it out by assembling an ever more complex .procmailrc to take
the heavy lifting.  I've been doing it that way mainly because SA is
quite expensive to run against LOTS of spam.  Even without involving
online data base checks.

So ... I've been culling out the easy stuff with procmail.  But its
getting too hard to ID this stuff.

I'd like to try the bogofilter approach in addition to my inplace
spamassassin/procmail (doesn't involve gnus other than as mail reader)
setup.  (That setup does not involve contacting online data bases either)

That is, I'd like to try the method where you have spam/ham groups
inside gnus and invoke bogofilter on them, building up a bogofilter
database.

Listening to various posts on that it seems have all the earmarks of
being a pain in the butt.

I wondered if anyone can direct me to some examples of a setup like
below or maybe even better, post their setup.

Summary of possible setup:

   1) procmail/SpamAssassin based pre filtering (before gnus)

   Then for whatever gets thru that barrier:
    (And here is where I'd like some help)
   2) Inside gnus: Bogofilter based spam/ham database buiding tools.

The old 1 2 punch...

=====

I'd like to see some examples of point 2 that describe how this can
be done.