* GNUS "PGP Sign" bug (CVS Gnus)
@ 2003-12-28 21:58 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-12-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

it seems that GNUS' non-MIME "PGP Sign" (<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>)
is a bit overzealous with MIME encoding, it trashes the boundaries by
encoding the "-" in the leftmost column to "=2D". It should leave
the ----- boundaries alone - these need to be encoded BEFORE signing,
NOT AFTER signing.

See below what it has produced for my mail to ports@freebsd.org:

--
Matthias Andree

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4305 bytes --]

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject: TESTERS WANTED: e2fsprogs port update
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:50:59 +0100

* Re: GNUS "PGP Sign" bug (CVS Gnus)
@ 2003-12-28 22:49 ` Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard @ 2003-12-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma+gnus@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Hi,
> it seems that GNUS' non-MIME "PGP Sign" (<#secure method=pgp mode=sign>)
> is a bit overzealous with MIME encoding, it trashes the boundaries by
> encoding the "-" in the leftmost column to "=2D". It should leave
> the ----- boundaries alone - these need to be encoded BEFORE signing,
> NOT AFTER signing.

The problem there is that Gnus is not adding the header:

It also messes up certain things by decoding the plaintext messages as
if it were quoted printable before signing and then re-encoding.

Strangely enough, this only seems to be broken in CVS Gnus.  Non-CVS
Gnus doesn't have that problem, so it must have been broken recently.
However, I didn't see any obvious reason for the problem when looking
at the sources.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: GNUS "PGP Sign" bug (CVS Gnus)
@ 2003-12-28 22:55 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-28 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma+gnus@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> it seems that GNUS' non-MIME "PGP Sign" (<#secure method=pgp
> mode=sign>) is a bit overzealous with MIME encoding, it trashes the
> boundaries by encoding the "-" in the leftmost column to "=2D".

How recent is your Gnus version?  Try again if you haven't updated
within the last few days.

* Re: GNUS "PGP Sign" bug (CVS Gnus)
@ 2003-12-29  0:52   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-12-29  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Matthias Andree <ma+gnus@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
>> it seems that GNUS' non-MIME "PGP Sign" (<#secure method=pgp
>> mode=sign>) is a bit overzealous with MIME encoding, it trashes the
>> boundaries by encoding the "-" in the leftmost column to "=2D".
>
> How recent is your Gnus version?  Try again if you haven't updated
> within the last few days.

The newest lisp/*.el file was dated 2003-12-27T20:45Z (21:45 in our time
zone).

I have now (see Date: header) updated again and the bug seems to be
fixed.

Magne tak!

--
Matthias Andree