From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Encrypting outgoing message but not Gcc?
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:35:51 -0500	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 06 2003, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
>> I Gcc messages to an archive group, and unless I have the
>> recipient's private key, I can't view the archived message if it's
>> been encrypted.
>
> ,----[ C-h v pgg-encrypt-for-me RET ]
> | pgg-encrypt-for-me's value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | If t, encrypt all outgoing messages with user's public key.
> `----
>
> The default value has bee changed to `t' recently (2003-11-10).
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I was wondering why this option didn't work for me, and I found the code
below in yesterday's CVS of pgg-gpg.el.  Notice that it makes my user ID
known to gpg by means of the `--remote-user' option.  However, this
option is no longer used in recent versions of gpg ... it's been
replaced with `--recipient'.

I think that we need a configuration variable that allows us to specify
one or the other of these option flags, so that the code can be made to
work with both older and newer versions of gpg.

  (defun pgg-gpg-encrypt-region (start end recipients &optional sign)
    "Encrypt the current region between START and END.
  If optional argument SIGN is non-nil, do a combined sign and encrypt."
    (let* ((pgg-gpg-user-id (or pgg-gpg-user-id pgg-default-user-id))
           (passphrase
            (when sign
              (pgg-read-passphrase
               (format "GnuPG passphrase for %s: " pgg-gpg-user-id)
               pgg-gpg-user-id)))
           (args
            (append
             (list "--batch" "--armor" "--always-trust" "--encrypt")
             (if sign (list "--sign" "--local-user" pgg-gpg-user-id))
             (if recipients
                 (apply #'nconc
                        (mapcar (lambda (rcpt)
                                  (list "--remote-user" rcpt))
                                (append recipients
                                        (if pgg-encrypt-for-me
                                            (list pgg-gpg-user-id)))))))))
      (pgg-as-lbt start end 'CRLF
        (pgg-gpg-process-region start end passphrase pgg-gpg-program args))
      (when sign
        (with-current-buffer pgg-errors-buffer
          ;; Possibly cache passphrase under, e.g. "jas", for future sign.
          (pgg-gpg-possibly-cache-passphrase passphrase pgg-gpg-user-id)
          ;; Possibly cache passphrase under, e.g. B565716F, for future decrypt.
          (pgg-gpg-possibly-cache-passphrase passphrase)))
      (pgg-process-when-success)))

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com