From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: spam filtering using IMAP ?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:40:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, matsl@contactor.se wrote:
> Isn't it natural when using imap to do the spam filtering on the
> server? This way all your MUAs will benefit from the filtering.

Some people (quite a few, in fact) don't have login access to the IMAP
server.  Most people can't install software on the IMAP server.  So
it's not always that easy to do classification on the server.

Some people may want to classify IMAP mail into other (nnml, for
instance) folders).  That's tough if the IMAP server is not where you
normally run Gnus.

> The problem from the MUAs perspective is how to feedback
> reclassifications to the server. The best I have come up with so
> far, not tested, is to move the articles to special folders for
> reclassification and then use a cronjob for feeding the articles to
> the statistic engine and eventually the correct folder.
>
> This scheme would suggest that spam.el should support a simple move
> to a special mark-as-ham or mark-as-spam folder. A quick look at
> spam.el doesn't reveal such simple functionality. It seems targeted
> to feeding the articles to the statistics engine directly. (Or am I
> missing something?)

What exactly would you like moved to that special folder?  I'm not
sure how spam.el could help you for server-side splitting.

Thanks
Ted