* Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-24 21:32 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-09-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i must be blind. Since a few days my Gnus shows all dormant articles
(not only the ticked) in the summary buffer. It's possible i changed
something, but i don't find it.

Any hint? Thanks!

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-24 23:55 ` Harry Putnam
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-09-24 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i must be blind. Since a few days my Gnus shows all dormant articles
> (not only the ticked) in the summary buffer. It's possible i changed
> something, but i don't find it.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think gnus remembers if you
happen to press `/ D' (`gnus-summary-limit-include-dormant') in a
group for some reason.  Next time you enter that group gnus remembers
the `/ D' and displays all dormant articles for you.  To cure the
problem press `/ d' (lower case d)
(`gnus-summary-limit-exclude-dormant') to make them disappear.

* Re: Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-25  6:47   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-09-25  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, cc

Hello Harry,

    > To cure the problem press `/ d' (lower case d)
    > (`gnus-summary-limit-exclude-dormant') to make them disappear.

Thank you very much for the tip. I updated yesterday my local Oort
Gnus, and interestingly enough the problem is gone. In case it
reappears your suggestion might be useful!

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--

@ 2001-09-25 21:05   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2001-09-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think gnus remembers if you
> happen to press `/ D' (`gnus-summary-limit-include-dormant') in a
> group for some reason.

Doesn't do so here.
Robert

* Re: Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-26 12:59   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2001-09-26 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think gnus remembers if you
> happen to press `/ D' (`gnus-summary-limit-include-dormant') in a
> group for some reason.  Next time you enter that group gnus remembers
> the `/ D' and displays all dormant articles for you.  To cure the
> problem press `/ d' (lower case d)
> (`gnus-summary-limit-exclude-dormant') to make them disappear.

I haven't seen it, nor can I repeat it, with / D, but it does happen
to me if I toggle threading off with T T in a summary buffer.  The
immediate summary doesn't get dormant's inserted, but all subsequent
groups have them showing.  I have so much cruft in my .emacs and .gnus
related to setting summary variables that I just chalked it up to
local config and since I nearly always want threading on it doesn't
bug me.  In fact, it's a nice reminder to turn threading back on when
I've shut it off temporarily :-)
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-26 15:13     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-09-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) writes:

>> Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think gnus remembers if you
>> happen to press `/ D' (`gnus-summary-limit-include-dormant') in a
>> group for some reason.  Next time you enter that group gnus remembers
>> the `/ D' and displays all dormant articles for you.  To cure the
>> problem press `/ d' (lower case d)
>> (`gnus-summary-limit-exclude-dormant') to make them disappear.
>
> I haven't seen it, nor can I repeat it, with / D, but it does happen
> to me if I toggle threading off with T T in a summary buffer.  The
> immediate summary doesn't get dormant's inserted, but all subsequent
> groups have them showing.  I have so much cruft in my .emacs and .gnus
> related to setting summary variables that I just chalked it up to
> local config and since I nearly always want threading on it doesn't
> bug me.  In fact, it's a nice reminder to turn threading back on when
> I've shut it off temporarily :-)

What you've noticed seems to be true here as well.  That is gnus *Does
NOT* remember about `/ D' as I posted, but a `T T' will cause the
dormants to show up.  Surely that is a bug eh?  In fact, like you, I
rarely use `T T' but have thought a few times that the toggle should go
back to default when the summary buffer is closed or next opened.

Any one else think that should be the behavior, rather than having
`T T' stay in force after leaving the group?

* Re: Oort Gnus shows always dormant articles in summary
@ 2001-09-26 15:27       ` Björn Torkelsson
From: Björn Torkelsson @ 2001-09-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What you've noticed seems to be true here as well.  That is gnus *Does
> NOT* remember about `/ D' as I posted, but a `T T' will cause the
> dormants to show up.  Surely that is a bug eh?  In fact, like you, I
> rarely use `T T' but have thought a few times that the toggle should go
> back to default when the summary buffer is closed or next opened.
>
> Any one else think that should be the behavior, rather than having
> `T T' stay in force after leaving the group?

I agree. Having 'T T' behave as the limiting commands would be nice.

/torkel