* nnmail-split-methods question
@ 1999-11-03 19:57 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 1999-11-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.97, GNU Emacs 20.4.90.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, X
toolkit) of Mon Nov 1 1999 on g.wolfram.com

(setq nnmail-split-methods
  '(("misc.typo" "^return-path:.*typo-l.*")
    [...]
    ("cf" "^reply-to:.*gabriel.ma.us.*")
    [...]))

How can I use nnmail-split-methods to split mail into monthly groups
named, for example, like "nnml:group.yyyy-mm"?

I have some nnml groups with over 10,000 messages. When I get new mail
for those groups, I'd like to split the messages into
"nnml:cf.1999-11" for messages received this month, rather than the
gigantic "nnml:cf".

Next month (December) I'd like all mail from that list to go to
"nnml:cf.1999-12".

Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"The whole pleasure of marriage is that it is a perpetual crisis."

* Re: nnmail-split-methods question
@ 1999-11-03 21:42 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> How can I use nnmail-split-methods to split mail into monthly groups
> named, for example, like "nnml:group.yyyy-mm"?

Well, if you leave Emacs running for months, the following approach
won't work (but see midnight.el):

Just set nnmail-split-methods to the right value for the current
month!  I mean, nothing says that nnmail-split-methods should have the
same value at all times, right?

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      (list (list ...)
            (list ...)
            (list (format-time-string "cf-%Y-%m") "...")))

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* nnir question (was Re: nnmail-split-methods question)
@ 1999-11-03 23:49   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 1999-11-03 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03 Nov 1999 22:42:38 +0100
in article <vafbt9bl0a9.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:

  > Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
  >> How can I use nnmail-split-methods to split mail into monthly groups
  >> named, for example, like "nnml:group.yyyy-mm"?

  > Well, if you leave Emacs running for months, the following approach
  > won't work (but see midnight.el):

  > Just set nnmail-split-methods to the right value for the current
  > month!  I mean, nothing says that nnmail-split-methods should have the
  > same value at all times, right?

  > (setq nnmail-split-methods
  >       (list (list ...)
  >             (list ...)
  >             (list (format-time-string "cf-%Y-%m") "...")))

Thanks! That's perfect.

Now that I'm using your nnir[1] with glimpse, I'm comfortable keeping
one list in several nnml dirs.

Speaking of nnir, WIBNI gnus-group-make-nnir-group accepted an
optional argument via C-u to let the user edit the glimpse command
that's used? Then Gnus/nnir could be a general and easy-to-use
interface to glimpse.

I'm thinking in particular of 600MB of Catholic reference materials
(text files) I've collected that I usually need to glimpse-search
while reading email in Gnus.

Thanks -

bw

Footnotes:
[1] Kai for President! nnir is *great*!
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"The whole pleasure of marriage is that it is a perpetual crisis."
-G. K. Chesterton, "David Copperfield," Chesterton on Dickens, 1911

* Re: nnir question (was Re: nnmail-split-methods question)
@ 1999-11-04  9:13     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-04  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> Speaking of nnir, WIBNI gnus-group-make-nnir-group accepted an
> optional argument via C-u to let the user edit the glimpse command
> that's used? Then Gnus/nnir could be a general and easy-to-use
> interface to glimpse.

What would you like to change?  It is important that the Glimpse
output be predictable, otherwise nnir.el can't build the summary
buffer.

> I'm thinking in particular of 600MB of Catholic reference materials
> (text files) I've collected that I usually need to glimpse-search
> while reading email in Gnus.

Do you know of glimpse.el?  It allows you to say M-x glimpse RET,
similar to the standard feature of being able to say M-x grep RET.

kai
--

@ 1999-11-04 12:10       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-11-04 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you know of glimpse.el?  It allows you to say M-x glimpse RET,
> similar to the standard feature of being able to say M-x grep RET.

Anyone have a url for "glimpse.el"?

* Re: nnir question (was Re: nnmail-split-methods question)
@ 1999-11-04 17:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyone have a url for "glimpse.el"?

The file doesn't say, so I put a copy on my site:
ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/

kai
--

@ 1999-11-04 19:35       ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 1999-11-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 04 Nov 1999 10:13:35 +0100
in article <vafso2mr54w.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) said:

  > Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

  >> Speaking of nnir, WIBNI gnus-group-make-nnir-group accepted an
  >> optional argument via C-u to let the user edit the glimpse
  >> command that's used? Then Gnus/nnir could be a general and
  >> easy-to-use interface to glimpse.

  > What would you like to change?  It is important that the Glimpse
  > output be predictable, otherwise nnir.el can't build the summary
  > buffer.

For use with pgnus, I'd like to change the args to -H and -F to search
through another glimpse index of a separate dir structure.

  >> I'm thinking in particular of 600MB of Catholic reference materials
  >> (text files) I've collected that I usually need to glimpse-search
  >> while reading email in Gnus.

  > Do you know of glimpse.el?  It allows you to say M-x glimpse RET,
  > similar to the standard feature of being able to say M-x grep RET.

Wow - that's just what I need. I've customized it to search through my
non-Mail archive.

Still it might be nice to show the 'G G' glimpse command for editing
in the minibuffer, the way Shutko's glimpse.el does, but that's not
necessary for me now.

Kai for President!

bw
--

@ 1999-11-04 19:54         ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-11-04 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>> What would you like to change?  It is important that the Glimpse
>> output be predictable, otherwise nnir.el can't build the summary
>> buffer.

> For use with pgnus, I'd like to change the args to -H and -F to search
> through another glimpse index of a separate dir structure.

nnir very badly wants to return filenames which exist within your Gnus
mail area.  If you look at nnir-run-glimpse, it will delete lines
which do not end in digits, remove the prefix dir in which your mail
lives, and finally convert to a dotted.group.name, whereupon it will
ask nnml to cough up overview entries for those groups.  For indices
representing other structures, the result of all the preceding hackery
will merely result in nothing being available.  That is, nnir is very
Gnus-specific, and is not at all a general glimpse wrapper.

* Re: nnir question (was Re: nnmail-split-methods question)
@ 1999-11-04 20:39           ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 1999-11-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 04 Nov 1999 14:54:30 -0500
in article <vxku2n2jamh.fsf@beaver.jprc.com>
Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> said:

  > Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
  >>> What would you like to change?  It is important that the Glimpse
  >>> output be predictable, otherwise nnir.el can't build the summary
  >>> buffer.

  >> For use with pgnus, I'd like to change the args to -H and -F to search
  >> through another glimpse index of a separate dir structure.

  > nnir very badly wants to return filenames which exist within your
  > Gnus mail area.  If you look at nnir-run-glimpse, it will delete
  > lines which do not end in digits, remove the prefix dir in which
  > your mail lives, and finally convert to a dotted.group.name,
  > whereupon it will ask nnml to cough up overview entries for those
  > groups.  For indices representing other structures, the result of
  > all the preceding hackery will merely result in nothing being
  > available.  That is, nnir is very Gnus-specific, and is not at all
  > a general glimpse wrapper.

Oof - I hadn't realized that. Well, nnir is ideal for gnus, and
Shutko's glimpse.el is ideal elsewhere.

Many thanks to Kai on such a usable and (for me) essential piece of
software.

bw