* Function for updating marks ...
@ 1999-01-17 21:05 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-01-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using pgnus-0.69 under XEmacs 21.2beta4.

I'm looking for an elisp function that will take a group name, an
article number within that group, and one of the various article
marks, and which will do the following three things:

(1) ... mark that specific article within that specific group with the
    specified mark.

(2) ... make sure that the marking is recorded in .newsrc.eld as soon
    as it performed.

(3) ... perform tasks 1 and 2 even if the group which is specified
    happens to be the current group that I'm looking at (via
    summary mode).

I've been digging through the elisp source, and I haven't as yet been
able to find such a function.  I've been able to construct something
that will do 1 and 2, but 3 is elusive to me.

Does such a function already exist within the gnus source code?  If
not, could anyone suggest anything which could help me to construct
a function that performs all three of these tasks?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Function for updating marks ...
@ 1999-01-19 23:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Does such a function already exist within the gnus source code?

I don't think so..

> If not, could anyone suggest anything which could help me to
> construct a function that performs all three of these tasks?

There really isn't any general functionality for setting an arbitrary
mark on an article in an already-opened group.  I think.

* Re: Function for updating marks ...
@ 1999-01-20 21:40   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-01-20 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > There really isn't any general functionality for setting an
  > arbitrary mark on an article in an already-opened group.  I think.

Are you saying that `!' closes the group before modifying the mark?  I
must be misunderstanding something, here.

Dunno if there is a way to do (gnus-group-current-p "nnml:mail.misc")...

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: Function for updating marks ...
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > There really isn't any general functionality for setting an
>   > arbitrary mark on an article in an already-opened group.  I think.
>
> Are you saying that `!' closes the group before modifying the mark?

No.  You can set each specific mark.  However, there is no general
function for setting an arbitrary mark in an open group.

* Re: Function for updating marks ...
@ 1999-01-21 13:50       ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-01-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > No.  You can set each specific mark.  However, there is no general
  > function for setting an arbitrary mark in an open group.

The original poster wanted to write a function which receives as input
the group name, article number, and a mark.  I think there was a
misunderstanding somewhere.

kai
--

@ 1999-01-23  8:15         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-23  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > No.  You can set each specific mark.  However, there is no general
>   > function for setting an arbitrary mark in an open group.
>
> The original poster wanted to write a function which receives as input
> the group name, article number, and a mark.  I think there was a
> misunderstanding somewhere.

No, I understand what he wants.  I'm just explaing that what he wants
doesn't exist.  :-)

Writing what he wants is no big deal, though.  The
`gnus-article-mark-lists' is a mapping from mark names to summary
buffer variables, so writing a function for setting an arbitrary mark
should certainly be possible.