From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: nnkiboze
Date: 25 Apr 1998 13:08:17 -0700	[thread overview]

Judging by the changelog in newest 5.6.5 release, there was work done on nnkiboze:

  > * nnkiboze.el (nnkiboze-generate-group): Would mess up newsrs
  > 	    hashtb.
  > 	    (nnkiboze-enter-nov): Created bogus Xrefs headers.

Not sure what was done  but I am still unable to get any use at all out
of nnkiboze.  Apparently some, have been able to get it to work, so am
wondering what I am doing wrong or what is wrong in my setup.

Experiments on the new release of gnus-5.6.5 gives one new (bad)
development from previous experiments with earlier versions,
Now, at the end of the search I get a message "no news is no news" in the
group buffer and all else disappears, and is rendered inaccessable.

Any attempts to get the group buffer back are just blank.  Only way I've
found to get started again is to kill 'group' buffer and press M-x gnus
again.

Briefly the steps followed are:

1)G k  make kiboze group
2)give it regexp for groups (alt.unix.wizards$)
3)Pick 'body' (area to be searched)
4)give search string (unix)
Group pops up in group display *nnkiboze test2
5)Press M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups <RET>
Full nntp read takes place
alt.unix.wizards is checked

Then the 'no news is no news' message. No further use of that instance of gnus is
possible.

After killing blank group buffer, pressing M-x gnus again,  the Kiboze
group is activated and finds 44 messages.  On attempting to open group I
get: 'Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil'

Some further notes:

I see the same problem as before with read articles being marked unread
and any ticked articles come up unticked after running nnkiboze.  This
happens on *all* groups including nnml groups.  Not just on the groups
included in the nnkiboze regexp.

The number showing on nnkiboze group is doubled every time nnkiboze is run.

Same behaviour both plugged and unplugged

Included below are the messages produced during both phases above and
the back trace from the error

Messages:

Reading active file from enews.newsguy.com via nntp...done
Reading active file via nnml...done
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on /var/spool/mail/djputnam...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
Checking new news...done
nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...
 [2 times]
nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
No news is no news
Auto-saving...
No news is no news

************    After restart of gnus *********************

Mark set
Wrote /home/dj/.newsrc-dribble

Reading /home/dj/.newsrc.eld...
Generating the cache active file...
Generating the cache active file...done
Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...

Opening nndoc server on /var/spool/mail/djputnam...

Opening nnml server...

Opening nnkiboze server on alt.unix.wizards$...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
Checking new news...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnkiboze:test2...
Fetching headers for nnkiboze:test2...
Fetching headers for nnkiboze:test2...done
Scoring...
Scoring on article 1 of 44...
Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

Back trace:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  nnkiboze-request-article(1 "test2" "alt.unix.wizards$" nil)
  gnus-request-article(1 "nnkiboze:test2")
  gnus-score-body((((touched nil) ("body" ...))) "body" 729504 729497 nil)
  gnus-score-headers(("/home/dj/News/nnkiboze:test2.SCORE") nil)
  gnus-possibly-score-headers()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnkiboze:test2" nil t nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnkiboze:test2" nil t nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group)

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com