From: Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Offline body retrieval
Date: 26 Nov 1997 02:54:22 +0000	[thread overview]

uzs452@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de writes:

> to ~/.gus.el. I can read news online without problems. But I want to dial
> up, get new headers in all subscribed groups, get marked article bodies,
> post my articles and disconnect from the net. I can mark articles for
> download with J # (Mark as downloadable) in pick-mode. But how can I
> download only these article bodies ? With /Agent/Fetch/All or
> /Agent/Fetch/Group I get _all_ new articles with bodies.
>
> Is this feature not yet implemented or have I missed the obvious way ? IMO
> this would become a FAQ if qgnus is out of beta.

  Yes, I would like to use Quassia as well. However, with each
iteration (and yes I *know* its only alpha), I download, install and
see if the 'agent' has been modified to behave in a way I can
comprehend :-).

  Amongst others, I've been having the same problems as yourself in
trying to selectively download news articles. The manual is, as yet
very scant, but the little information provided does seem to imply
that the agent can handle such things.

  I've also been unable to fathom out how to just obtain say the last
few hundred headers of newly subscribed groups, and not all 5000+ :-(.

  Fetching new news articles also has me stumped (and I think you're
beginning to understand why I'm still on 5.4.67 & leafnode :-)). I've
conducted comparisons between what leafnode downloads (via 5.4.67) and
what the agent downloads when I do a 'J u' or 'J s'. With very little
rhyme or reason (to me at least), the agent does not appear to fetch
as many new article headers/bodies, in-fact it usually downloads
nothing - I fruitlessly try a few more 'J u's and 'J s's, eventually
give up and retreat to the comfortable confines of 5.4.67 and await
the next Quassia release.

  I feel I must be missing something rather obvious here, so if anyone
can add to my sense of mental inadequacy, please do. Yes (again), I
know Quassia is still alpha, but I'd still like to use it for its
offline capabilities and get rid of leafnode.

  Any info on how others are use 'agent' features, much appreciated.

--
Regards, Mike.