* Can not send application attachments.
@ 2010-09-02  9:54 Vitaly S.
From: Vitaly S. @ 2010-09-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello everyone,

A stupid question probably, sorry.

I cannot send application attachments. Each time I try C-c C-c with
application/pdf , image/png   or alike,  the file is opened in the external
application and the message is not sent.

What settings/customization should I look at? Have absolutely no clue why this
is happening. I didn't mess with MIME almost at all in my .emacs or .gnus.

All I have is :
(setq
 mm-inline-large-images t
 mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
 gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing t
 )

(setq mm-file-name-rewrite-functions
      '(mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
        mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
        mm-file-name-replace-whitespace))

Thanks,
Vitaly.

* Re: Can not send application attachments.
@ 2010-09-02 12:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-02 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:54:18 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:

VS> I cannot send application attachments. Each time I try C-c C-c with
VS> application/pdf , image/png   or alike,  the file is opened in the external
VS> application and the message is not sent.

You mean `C-c RET f'?  Use the Attachments->Attach File menu to be
certain.

VS> What settings/customization should I look at? Have absolutely no clue why this
VS> is happening. I didn't mess with MIME almost at all in my .emacs or .gnus.

VS> All I have is :
VS> (setq
VS>  mm-inline-large-images t
VS>  mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
VS>  gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing t
VS>  )

VS> (setq mm-file-name-rewrite-functions
VS>       '(mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
VS>         mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
VS>         mm-file-name-replace-whitespace))

None of those should matter for attachments AFAIK.

Ted

* Re: Can not send application attachments.
@ 2010-09-02 19:45   ` Vitaly S.
From: Vitaly S. @ 2010-09-02 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:54:18 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:
>
> Vs> I cannot send application attachments. Each time I try C-c C-c with
> VS> application/pdf , image/png   or alike,  the file is opened in the external
> VS> application and the message is not sent.
>
> You mean `C-c RET f'?  Use the Attachments->Attach File menu to be
> certain.

I meant that during sending with message-send-and-exit (C-c C-c) if the email
contains parts with attachments, instead of being sent the pdf file is opened
in acrobat reader and images with evince. Message itself is not
sent. Curiously text/plain and text/html and octet-stream are sent just
fine.

@ 2010-09-02 20:58     ` Vitaly S.
From: Vitaly S. @ 2010-09-02 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:54:18 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:
>>
>> Vs> I cannot send application attachments. Each time I try C-c C-c with
>> VS> application/pdf , image/png   or alike,  the file is opened in the external
>> VS> application and the message is not sent.
>>
>> You mean `C-c RET f'?  Use the Attachments->Attach File menu to be
>> certain.
>
> I meant that during sending with message-send-and-exit (C-c C-c) if the email
> contains parts with attachments, instead of being sent the pdf file is opened
> in acrobat reader and images with evince. Message itself is not
> sent. Curiously text/plain and text/html and octet-stream are sent just
> fine.
>
> Vitaly.

I left only gnus-secondary-select-method and smtp configuration in my
.gnus. The problem persists.

My send-mail-function  is smtpmail-send-it.
I am using the setup for multiple smtp accounts proposed here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts

gnus version is 5.13
emacs 23.1.1

@ 2010-09-02 21:26       ` Vitaly S.
From: Vitaly S. @ 2010-09-02 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) writes:

> Spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>> You mean `C-c RET f'?  Use the Attachments->Attach File menu to be
>>> certain.
>>
>> I meant that during sending with message-send-and-exit (C-c C-c) if the email
>> contains parts with attachments, instead of being sent the pdf file is opened
>> in acrobat reader and images with evince. Message itself is not
>> sent. Curiously text/plain and text/html and octet-stream are sent just
>> fine.
>>
>> Vitaly.
>
> I left only gnus-secondary-select-method and smtp configuration in my
> .gnus. The problem persists.
>
> My send-mail-function  is smtpmail-send-it.
> I am using the setup for multiple smtp accounts proposed here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
>
> Gnus version is 5.13
> emacs 23.1.1
>
> Thanks,
> Vitaly.

Well, I finally got it. The openwith global mode
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OpenWith was interfering somehow.

Once deactivated gnus attachments run nicely.

Would be curious to find out why is that happening, openwith is an
extremely light weigh and useful mode.

@ 2010-09-02 22:01     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Markus Triska

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:45:05 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:

VS> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:54:18 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:
>>
Vs> I cannot send application attachments. Each time I try C-c C-c with
VS> application/pdf , image/png   or alike,  the file is opened in the external
VS> application and the message is not sent.
>>
>> You mean `C-c RET f'?  Use the Attachments->Attach File menu to be
>> certain.

VS> I meant that during sending with message-send-and-exit (C-c C-c) if the email
VS> contains parts with attachments, instead of being sent the pdf file is opened
VS> in acrobat reader and images with evince. Message itself is not
VS> sent. Curiously text/plain and text/html and octet-stream are sent just
VS> fine.

Oh, I see.  That's a weird bug.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 23:26:07 +0200 spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) wrote:

VS> Well, I finally got it. The openwith global mode
VS> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OpenWith was interfering somehow.

VS> Once deactivated gnus attachments run nicely.

VS> Would be curious to find out why is that happening, openwith is an
VS> extremely light weigh and useful mode.

Emacs opens the file in order to attach it.

openwith.el hooks into this process and instead opens the file
externally.  That's probably too intrusive, but I don't know how to
preserve openwith.el's behavior while being less aggressive with the
file handlers.  Maybe Markus can help you.

Ted

* Re: Can not send application attachments.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-03 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

spinuvit.list@gmail.com (Vitaly S.) writes:

> Would be curious to find out why is that happening, openwith is an
> extremely light weigh and useful mode.

It sounds like it's being too invasive.