* Pseudo-Articles for thread root
@ 2002-12-28 23:15 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-12-28 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Gnus offers you to gather subthreads whose root has expired under a
pseudo root by saying:
(setq gnus-summary-make-false-root 'dummy)
Wouldn't it be nice if Gnus offered you an option to have a
pseudo-root (dummy) article for all threads?

You could then specify a special summary-line-format for those including
infos on the thread like

-subject
-articles in thread
-thread score
-number of unread articles in thread

This would be especially interesting if you work with collapsed threads,
since you could see what happened in the thread without opening
it. Hitting RET on one of those dummies should (like it does for the
existing dummies already) display the first article in the thread.

Sadly gnus-sum.el is still a mystery to me (this baby is so huge, I just
have no idea what happens how where) so I can't implement this myself,
but perhaps there's some friendly soul...

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Pseudo-Articles for thread root
@ 2002-12-28 23:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-28 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Wouldn't it be nice if Gnus offered you an option to have a
> pseudo-root (dummy) article for all threads?

Sure.  I've now added `gnus-summary-make-false-root-always'.

> Sadly gnus-sum.el is still a mystery to me (this baby is so huge, I just
> have no idea what happens how where)

The threading code is the most complex code in Gnus, so that's no
wonder...  :-)

* Re: Pseudo-Articles for thread root
@ 2002-12-29  9:17   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-12-29  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be nice if Gnus offered you an option to have a
>> pseudo-root (dummy) article for all threads?
>
> Sure.  I've now added `gnus-summary-make-false-root-always'.

That's awesome, thank you. Now only some way of specifying a special
gnus-summary-highlight...

Ok, I shut up :-)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-29 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Now only some way of specifying a special
> gnus-summary-highlight...

`gnus-summary-dummy-line-format' is very simple -- it doesn't take
many format specs, but perhaps that could be fixed...