* Names of topics with ISO 8859-2 characters
@ 2001-04-23 19:12 Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-04-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

you can not create and even rename topic with characters from ISO
8859-2. They will be created, but will be shown with \202 before each ISO
8859-2 character in the Group buffer. The same applies for 5.9.0 and for
Oort from the CVS.

Try this:

LANG=cs_CZ emacs -q

M-x gnus-no-server

M-x gnus-topic-mode

T n ěščřžýáíé RET

The topic is displayed correctly now. Kill gnus, and run it again. The
topic will be displayed with \202 preceding each letter...
--
Pavel Janík

Buying an operating system without source is like buying a self-assembly
Space Shuttle with no instructions.
                  -- Jeremy Allison in linux-kernel

* Re: Names of topics with ISO 8859-2 characters
@ 2001-07-24  5:00 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-24  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> Hi,
>
> you can not create and even rename topic with characters from ISO
> 8859-2. They will be created, but will be shown with \202 before each ISO
> 8859-2 character in the Group buffer. The same applies for 5.9.0 and for
> Oort from the CVS.
>
> Try this:
>
> LANG=cs_CZ emacs -q
>
> M-x gnus-no-server
>
> M-x gnus-topic-mode
>
> T n ěščřžýáíé RET
>
> The topic is displayed correctly now. Kill gnus, and run it again. The
> topic will be displayed with \202 preceding each letter...

I've fixed it in the Gnus CVS.  Putting (setq
gnus-startup-file-coding-system 'emacs-mule) into .emacs or .gnus may
fix the problem in 5.9.0.  Please test.

ShengHuo

* Re: Names of topics with ISO 8859-2 characters
@ 2001-08-17 16:03   ` Roland Mas
From: Roland Mas @ 2001-08-17 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU (2001-07-23 22:00:18 -0700) :

> Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

[...]

>> The topic is displayed correctly now. Kill gnus, and run it again. The
>> topic will be displayed with \202 preceding each letter...
>
> I've fixed it in the Gnus CVS.  Putting (setq
> gnus-startup-file-coding-system 'emacs-mule) into .emacs or .gnus
> may fix the problem in 5.9.0.  Please test.

I tested it too, since I had the same problem (although for Latin-1).
It works.  Thanks ShengHuo!

  Now I just have to see why my messages posted in UTF-8 are corrupted
before I completely switch over to Emacs 21.  Hm.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
  -- in the tunefs manual page.

* Re: Names of topics with ISO 8859-2 characters
@ 2001-08-17 16:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-17 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roland Mas <mas@echo.fr> writes:

>   Now I just have to see why my messages posted in UTF-8 are corrupted
> before I completely switch over to Emacs 21.  Hm.

Does it help to turn off Mule-UCS?  That did the trick for me.  But
others report that Mule-UCS works fine with Emacs 21; I wish I knew
what causes it to work or to fail.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory