From: Charles Sebold <csebold@ezl.com>
Subject: Re: vCalendar/iCalendar support for Gnus?
Date: 03 Jan 2001 11:17:14 -0600	[thread overview]

On 8 Teveth 5761, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> I thought about this a while back... .......  I don't think I want
> Calendar stuff within Emacs.  Startup up Gnome Calendar... how would
> you have such a nice interface within Emacs??? You can't :(...  it
> wouldn't be nice :(

I just fired up GNOME Calendar for the first time, to see the nice
interface.  Eh.  It doesn't look particularly groundbreaking to me.  But
perhaps I don't have the latest one.  (I did update to the latest Helix
GNOME recently, though.)

I don't see any reason why: 1) all of those interfaces couldn't be
replicated in Emacs, or 2) why you would want your calendar so "far
away," in an application sense, from your mail client, current todo
lists, diary, appointment reminders, etc.  Of course if you aren't doing
all this in Emacs already, then perhaps it isn't that big of a deal for
you.  Also, it would be nice to be able to deal with this from a tty,
rather than requiring an X11 interface every time I need to consult it.

> It would still be nice to have all the Emacs lisp magic..............

_This_ strikes me as being the most important thing.  If the calendar
not only could speak this distributed-calendar language that all these
Outlook users rave about, but could be customized and automated in Emacs
Lisp....well, I might actually have to use it.

That said, I haven't seen the need in my own work to automate my own
schedule that completely.  And if it ever did become so overwhelming
that I could no longer figure out when I was free for a meeting, or send
someone a copy of my to-do list...well, I should think my employer could
pay for a secretary for me then.  That would have to be an astounding
work load.  Maybe if I was the CEO or something.  (Just my opinion.  But
this feature creep seems to be getting sillier by the minute to me.)
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to an Emacs Very Frequently Asked Question:

 -- Zippy the Pinhead, 20 November 2000