* multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
@ 1999-09-28 10:00 Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 1999-09-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I just upgraded from 5.6.45 to PGnus 0.96 and to my big horror I found
it was trying to decode all sorts of disgusting MIME things
automatically such as text/html etc.

After a couple of hours of madly searching through documentation I
finally found mm-automatic-display so I got rid of text/html (yippee).
However even if I remove multipart/* from mm-automatic-display, GNUS
still tries to decode it ;-(

Is there some magic variable somewhere I can set to tell GNUS to not
try to decode any $@#$#@ MIME automatically, but only do it when I
explicitly tell it to, like W q did for quoted-unreadable in the older
versions?

I really want to be able to tell an idiot he is a dork for sending me
HTML in my email and I can only do that when I can see it is actually
there.

Jes

* Re: multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
@ 1999-09-28 11:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:

> I really want to be able to tell an idiot he is a dork for sending me
> HTML in my email and I can only do that when I can see it is actually
> there.

Well, you can tell Gnus to show the Content-Type header.  (You can
spot multipart mails by the `N parts' indicator in the mode line.)  I
think nobody thought you would want to turn off the MIME handling in
Gnus...  There is C-u g which shows you the original article,
unchanged, which is useful for debugging purposes.

I just _love_ it how Gnus hides HTML from me -- I can just pretend it
was normal text and be happy.  Big kudos to Bill for enabling Emacs to
display HTML and to Lars for integrating it into Gnus so seamlessly!

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
@ 1999-09-28 12:33   ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 1999-09-28 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:
>> I really want to be able to tell an idiot he is a dork for sending
>> me HTML in my email and I can only do that when I can see it is
>> actually there.

Kai> Well, you can tell Gnus to show the Content-Type header.  (You
Kai> can spot multipart mails by the `N parts' indicator in the mode
Kai> line.)  I think nobody thought you would want to turn off the
Kai> MIME handling in Gnus...  There is C-u g which shows you the
Kai> original article, unchanged, which is useful for debugging
Kai> purposes.

Hmmm I _really_ want to disable it and only have it decode MIME when I
explicitly ask it to. I don't like any automatic conversion going on
behind my back.

@ 1999-10-04 20:32   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-10-04 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I just _love_ it how Gnus hides HTML from me -- I can just pretend it
> was normal text and be happy.  Big kudos to Bill for enabling Emacs to
> display HTML and to Lars for integrating it into Gnus so seamlessly!

Let me join my voice to the chorus.  This is extremely comfortable.

* Re: multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
@ 1999-10-07 10:20     ` piet
From: piet @ 1999-10-07 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

FP> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> I just _love_ it how Gnus hides HTML from me -- I can just pretend it
>> was normal text and be happy.  Big kudos to Bill for enabling Emacs to
>> display HTML and to Lars for integrating it into Gnus so seamlessly!

FP> Let me join my voice to the chorus.  This is extremely comfortable.

Same for me. Someone was complaining in a newsgroup about HTML in a message
and I thought `What HTML?' I couldn't even get the thing to show the HTML
although there must be some hidden command that makes it visible again.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: Piet.van.Oostrum@gironet.nl

* Re: multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
@ 1999-10-07 12:06       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-07 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

piet@cs.uu.nl writes:

> [...] I couldn't even get the thing to show the HTML although there
> must be some hidden command that makes it visible again.

C-u g

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: multipart/* & mm-automatic-display
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-06  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:

> Hmmm I _really_ want to disable it and only have it decode MIME when I
> explicitly ask it to. I don't like any automatic conversion going on
> behind my back.

Setting `gnus-display-mime-function' to `ignore' will probably do the
trick.