* [Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>] Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?
@ 1999-08-13 10:32 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-13 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following message wasn't decoded properly when I saw it on the XSL
mailing list.  Wonder why?  The MIME tags seem to be correct.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4024 bytes --]

From: Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>
To: xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:23:21 -0400 (EST)

At 12 Aug 1999 18:16 +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:
 > \0We use XT to convert XML to HTML for presentation.  As we are in an
 > iso-8859-1 environment, our XML files are wont to contain iso-8859-1
 > characters.  We don't mind whether the resulting HTML also uses
 > iso-8859-1 characters or whether it uses "&auml;" style entities.

One day you should be able to use the result-encoding attribute on
xsl:stylesheet to specify the preferred encoding for the result tree.
XT doesn't yet support that (according to xt.htm in the current XT
distribution), so you're currently out of luck.

If you are producing HTML files, you can leave off the third argument
on the XT command line and pipe the XT output into a conversion
program, such as uniconv from Basis Technology or, I believe, a GNU
"recode" program (which I haven't found yet), to translate UTF-8 into
ISO 8859-1.

Another option is to specify UTF-8 as the character set of your HTML
by putting the following in the <HEAD> of your HTML document:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=utf-8">

You'll have to try it to see if it works with your browsers.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632

* Re: [Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>] Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?
@ 1999-08-13 11:34 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-08-13 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> The following message wasn't decoded properly when I saw it on the XSL
> mailing list.  Wonder why?  The MIME tags seem to be correct.

The list server appended a string (non-MIME-ish) to the article which
break base64 encoding. I see this quite often, perhaps base64-decode-*
could have a parameter to make it return what has been decoded (and
update the buffer) when it fails, instead of just aborting the
decoding and return nil. A patch looks pretty straightforward.

(One could fix the mailing list software too :-))

* Re: [Tony Graham <tgraham@mulberrytech.com>] Re: XT: I/O of iso-8859-1 characters?
@ 1999-09-24 18:09   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> The list server appended a string (non-MIME-ish) to the article which
> break base64 encoding. I see this quite often, perhaps base64-decode-*
> could have a parameter to make it return what has been decoded (and
> update the buffer) when it fails, instead of just aborting the
> decoding and return nil. A patch looks pretty straightforward.

Hm.  Well, it sounds simple enough, but isn't it kinda yucky to add
code to guess what bits are "really" part of a message and which ones
aren't?  Guessing usually results in people getting hurt and lots of
crying and confusion in the end.

> (One could fix the mailing list software too :-))

Yup.  One more reason (the bazillionth-and-one reason) why mailing
list software should never, ever, neverever, alter the contents of
bodies of the messages it distributes.