* nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-07 21:24 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai's nnir tool is the greatest thing since peanut-butter.
Are there plans afoot to introduce it in a coming release?

How are other people fairing with it?
A small problem I've noticed is that I can't seem to be able to tell
'nnir' where to look for its *.glimpse* files.  Setting the other
variable worked fine.  I only needed `nnir-glimpse-home' and
`nnir-search-engine' of the variables available:no

Possible variables are:
nnir-glimpse-home		   nnir-glimpse-program
nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix	   nnir-search-engine
nnir-wais-database		   nnir-wais-program

After setting  `nnir-glimpse-home' to 'nnir-exp' with M-x set-variable
(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))

'Nnir' still looks for its index  in '~/' the default.

Looking at Kais' code I only see one place where a default is
being set:

(around line 216)
(defvoo nnir-glimpse-home (getenv "HOME")
  "*Value of `-H' glimpse option.")

So I commented this out and recompiled.  'Nnir' still looks for its
files in '~/' even with:

(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))
or
(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote /homr/reader/nnir-exp))

placed in .gnus before starting.

>From *messages*:
Fetching headers for nnir:nnir...
Args out of range: ["can't open glimpse index-file .home.reader..glimpse_index
(use -H to give an index-directory or run 'glimpseindex' to make an index)

"nnir-glimpse-home" is no where in the recompiled .elc file so must be
getting set by 'glimpse' itself (that is glimpses' default)
This seems it might mean that the variable is not getting passed to
glimpse for one or another reason.

Its pretty likely to be something I've botched up.  I wonder if others
have had this minor problem?

Of course I get around it by putting the '.glimpse_*' files where nnir
wants them so this is a very minor glitch.

NNIR really enhances my use of Gnus, and I've just started to see its
many abilities.

Good Work.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com