* Re-enabling access of a foreign group.
@ 1998-08-07  1:08 Lloyd Zusman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-08-07  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I keep Gnus (currently version 5.6.27) up and running for huge amounts
of time at a stretch, and when `sunsite.auc.dk' goes down, Gnus
eventually figures this out and obligingly marks my Emacs-ding
newsgroup (`nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding') with an asterisk and
ceases to access it.

The `sunsite.auc.dk' site always manages to eventually come up again,
but when this happens, I have yet to figure out how to tell Gnus to
start re-accessing this group.  I have to exit Gnus and emacs and
restart everything in order for this group to become accessible.

Is there some way to force Gnus to re-enable access to a
previously-blocked foreign newsgroup without exiting and restarting?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Re-enabling access of a foreign group.
@ 1998-08-07  1:30 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-07  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Is there some way to force Gnus to re-enable access to a
> previously-blocked foreign newsgroup without exiting and restarting?

Haven't used 'sunsite.auk.dk lately or any foreign groups, but I seem
to remember being able to go to server buffer '^' Press 'C' (close)
with cursor on the proper server (which will probably say 'denied')
and then after a moment or two press 'O' (open) wait a bit and up it
would come.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Re-enabling access of a foreign group.
@ 1998-08-07  1:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-07  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Is there some way to force Gnus to re-enable access to a
> previously-blocked foreign newsgroup without exiting and restarting?

Yes.  Go to the server buffer and type `R'.

* Re: Re-enabling access of a foreign group.
@ 1998-08-07 18:26 ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-08-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Is there some way to force Gnus to re-enable access to a
 > previously-blocked foreign newsgroup without exiting and restarting?

Well, you could do something interesting in the server buffer, but
if I remember right, there was a recent change so that M-g in the
*Group* buffer would always try to reopen the server of the group at
point.

--Paul