* 5.6.9 in Agent mode Losing read/unread count
@ 1998-05-28 15:56 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Running RedHat Linux 5.0 * Emacs-20.2 * Gnus-5.6.9

This message is a rewrite of one posted but not responded to in
gnu.emacs.gnus.

Using gnus in 'unplugged' mode:

What I am seeing makes it impossible to keep track of 'read/unread'
status.  I've seen no mention of this from others so must assume it is
in my config somewhere.

Conditions:  These observations deal only with nntp groups. None are on
foreign servers.

Observed behavior:

Bring up gnus 'plugged', all groups are shown in pristine condition.
All messages on server are shown unread.

Press 'J s' and wait (impatiently) for process to finish.

*Unplug*

Open and read about half of the first 2 groups  exit those groups with
'ZZ'.  The number of unread shows down by half.  Cool so far

Close gnus with 'q' (from group buffer) and a confirming yes (y)
newsrc.eld is saved.  Close emacs with C-x C-c

Come back later -- bring up gnus 'unplugged'

Only 5 of 27 groups (nntp) are visible the rest hidden as when no
messages are unread.  Even though I closed gnus with many messages
unread in 25 groups (nntp)

Press 'L' 22 of 27 groups, including the two that were half read, now
show '0' unread.  Any kind of record is now lost.  Enter the two
groups to confirm that previously 'read' messages are now
'unread'. They are.
(Not clear above why 5 [untouched in previous session] are different
and still show number of unread= number on server).

*Plugin*

Press 'g'.  When finished, all groups once again show all messages on
server 'unread' including the ones 'read' in first two groups.

Net usefulness = 0

Ps- Similar behavior when News is downloaded into agent in batch from
the command line.

Where am I going astray?
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-05-28 15:56 UTC | newest]