From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Problem with thread sorting
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 00:50:10 +0200	[thread overview]

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> No. I see 2 issues: the sorting of the sub-threads in a gathered thread,
> and the sorting of the gathered threads themselves. Both seem wrong to
> me.

Right...

This is how it's done:

	   (gnus-sort-gathered-threads
	    (funcall gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
		     (gnus-sort-threads
		      (gnus-cut-threads (gnus-make-threads)))))

First each thread is sorted, then they are gathered, and then the
threads inside the gathered threads are sorted individually.

You would rather that the threads be gathered first, then the threads
are sorted (somehow), and then the threads inside the gathered threads
would be sorted.

However, I don't think that can be done.  Take the default sorting
parameter now -- sort by root article number.  What's the root article
number of a gathered thread?  The article number of the first thread?
The article number of the first thread after sorting the sub-threads?
Or what?

So I think what it does now is reasonable.