* Checks for obsolete system-type values?
@ 2009-01-11 21:43 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-01-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Jan 11 2009, Reiner Steib wrote:
[ <news:871vv9pm3i.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de> ]

> ,----[ <f1> v system-type RET ]
> | system-type is a variable defined in `src/emacs.c'.
> | Its value is gnu/linux
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Value is symbol indicating type of operating system you are using.
> | Special values:
> |   `gnu/linux'   compiled for a GNU/Linux system.
> |   `darwin'      compiled for Darwin (GNU-Darwin, Mac OS X, ...).
> |   `macos'       compiled for Mac OS 9.
> |   `ms-dos'      compiled as an MS-DOS application.
> |   `windows-nt'  compiled as a native W32 application.
> |   `cygwin'      compiled using the Cygwin library.
> |   `vax-vms' or
> |   `axp-vms'     compiled for a (Open)VMS system.
> | Anything else indicates some sort of Unix system.
> `----

I wonder why we also check for the following symbols in Gnus:
cygwin32 win32 w32 mswindows ms-windows emx

Maybe for XEmacs or older versions of Emacs?

http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/lispref_58.html#SEC763
doesn't list any of these. [1]
Neither does (info "(lispref)System Environment") [2]

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/lispref_58.html#SEC763 ]
|  57.3 Operating System Environment
|
| XEmacs provides access to variables in the operating system
| environment through various functions. These variables include the
| name of the system, the user's UID, and so on.
|
| Variable: system-type
|    The value of this variable is a symbol indicating the type of
|    operating system XEmacs is operating on. Here is a table of the
|    possible values:
|
|     aix-v3
|         AIX.
|
|     berkeley-unix
|         Berkeley BSD.
|
|     dgux
|         Data General DGUX operating system.
|
|     gnu
|         A GNU system using the GNU HURD and Mach.
|
|     hpux
|         Hewlett-Packard HPUX operating system.
|
|     irix
|         Silicon Graphics Irix system.
|
|     linux
|         A GNU system using the Linux kernel.
|
|     ms-dos
|         Microsoft MS-DOS "operating system."
|
|     next-mach
|         NeXT Mach-based system.
|
|     rtu
|         Masscomp RTU, UCB universe.
|
|     unisoft-unix
|         UniSoft UniPlus.
|
|     usg-unix-v
|         AT&T System V.
|
|     windows-nt
|         Microsoft windows NT.
|
|     xenix
|         SCO Xenix 386.
|
|     We do not wish to add new symbols to make finer distinctions
|     unless it is absolutely necessary! In fact, we hope to eliminate
|     some of these alternatives in the future. We recommend using
|     system-configuration to distinguish between different operating
|     systems.
`----

[2]

`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Checks for obsolete system-type values?
@ 2010-08-30  2:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-30  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I wonder why we also check for the following symbols in Gnus:
> cygwin32 win32 w32 mswindows ms-windows emx

Might just be cargoculting.  I've now removed the references to these
systems.