From: Jarl Friis <jarl@softace.dk>
Cc: bugs@gnus.org, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Bug regarding reading sent-mail folder
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:56:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Katsumi.

Thanks for your response. It is long time we communicated. I have been
very busy, yet I haven't solved my problem. Here is some more
information for you. Thanks for helping me.

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> % cd ~/Mail-softace/sent-mail
>>> % ls -aF
>>> ./ ../ active  all  all.mrk  all.nov  all~
>
>> Hmm... that seems not to be the content of my directory, i have:
>> #all#  ./  ../  active  all  all.nov  all~
>
>> It seems that I am missing the all.mrk file, right?
>
> Normally, the all.mrk file will be created automatically.
> I guess the reason why Gnus doesn't create it is because
> nnfolder-group-alist is nil.

Allright... But in my case it seems like Gnus-5.10.6 have not done that yet,
probably because it claims that the group "all" does not exist in the
first place, so it has not yet initialised that group (and created the
.mrk/.marks file)

>> In other folder I have a ".marks" file.

These are all the nnml backend folders (that can be open/initialised)
hence created by Gnus.

> [...]
>
>>> If .mrk files are broken, you can ignore them by setting the
>>> nnfolder-marks-is-evil variable as t.  This may be unrelated
>>> though.
>
>> Even without setting this var to anything in .gnus, gnus (when
>> starting up) changes the value from nil to t.
>
> That's quite strange.  I couldn't find out what sets it as t.

Sorry, I must have mistyped here (or things have changed). It changes
the value from t to nil. Even when setting it manually and putting
`(setq nnfolder-marks-is-evil t)' in ~/.gnus

> Well, the saved data for the "nnfolder+archive:all" group may be
> broken in the ~/.newsrc.eld file.  Could you let me know it?
> To do that, copy the following Lisp form into the *scratch* buffer
> and evaluate it (type C-j at the end of the line).  Gnus needs to be
> running.
>
> (assoc "nnfolder+archive:all" gnus-newsrc-alist)
=> ("nnfolder+archive:all" 6 nil nil (nnfolder "archive" (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t) (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail-softace/sent-mail/") (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail-softace/sent-mail/active")))

Any help is appreciated.

Jarl