* does .newsrc merging still work?
@ 2004-05-24 19:51 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-05-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been using Gnus and Tin (Yehova!) in parallel for a long time,
and Gnus has, apparently until recently, dutifully picked up .newsrc and
hidden the posts I read in tin from my view. (They are using the same
server, so that numbering matches for Tin and Gnus.)

Has there been any change recently that might have broken or required a
user reconfiguration to pick up .newsrc?

TIA,

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95

* Re: does .newsrc merging still work?
@ 2004-05-27 11:58 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-05-27 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 24 2004, Matthias Andree wrote:

> I have been using Gnus and Tin (Yehova!) in parallel for a long time,
> and Gnus has, apparently until recently, dutifully picked up .newsrc and
> hidden the posts I read in tin from my view. (They are using the same
> server, so that numbering matches for Tin and Gnus.)
>
> Has there been any change recently that might have broken or required a
> user reconfiguration to pick up .newsrc?

I think it's supposed to work.  Shot in the dark: It might be related
to the new nntp marks code.  Does it help to set `nntp-marks-is-evil'
to t?  Of course this is no solution, but maybe it helps to find the
bug.

See also the following threads, which _might_ be related:

- Subject: Old news keeps coming back
  http://thread.gmane.org/m3u0y49mxn.fsf@ecube.site

- Subject: Danger!  Marks for nntp.el
  http://thread.gmane.org/87sme4qkfx.fsf@emptyhost.emptydomain.de

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: does .newsrc merging still work?
@ 2004-05-28 17:40   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-05-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Mon, May 24 2004, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> I have been using Gnus and Tin (Yehova!) in parallel for a long time,
>> and Gnus has, apparently until recently, dutifully picked up .newsrc and
>> hidden the posts I read in tin from my view. (They are using the same
>> server, so that numbering matches for Tin and Gnus.)
>>
>> Has there been any change recently that might have broken or required a
>> user reconfiguration to pick up .newsrc?
>
> I think it's supposed to work.  Shot in the dark: It might be related
> to the new nntp marks code.  Does it help to set `nntp-marks-is-evil'
> to t?  Of course this is no solution, but maybe it helps to find the
> bug.

Doesn't appear to help (I placed it in .gnus and pressed R, for restart
Gnus).

--

@ 2004-05-28 17:45     ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2004-05-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>> I think it's supposed to work.  Shot in the dark: It might be related
>> to the new nntp marks code.  Does it help to set `nntp-marks-is-evil'
>> to t?  Of course this is no solution, but maybe it helps to find the
>> bug.
>
> Doesn't appear to help (I placed it in .gnus and pressed R, for restart
> Gnus).

What's worse, it twisted my .newsrc so that tin showed already read news
as unread...

I also updated to the latest CVS just in case.