* delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-17 20:54 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2001-08-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: per

Something I didn't see covered in the FAQ:

In order to be more compatible with other mail readers who don't have
Gnus's notion of expiration (such as Mozilla), it seems to me it would
make sense to "delete" a message by moving it to a Trash folder.  This
also has the advantage that when marks get lost, at least the deleted
messages stay in Trash, and it also makes it easier to look at
old/read messages without getting swamped by deleted messages.

The following seems to work for me:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-alter-summary-map)
(defun move-article-to-Trash (&optional n)
  (interactive "P")
  (gnus-summary-move-article n "Trash"))
(defun my-alter-summary-map ()
  (local-set-key "d" 'move-article-to-Trash))

But perhaps there is a better way?
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-17 21:06 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-17 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
> In order to be more compatible with other mail readers who don't have
> Gnus's notion of expiration (such as Mozilla), it seems to me it would
> make sense to "delete" a message by moving it to a Trash folder.
> But perhaps there is a better way?

Use a small expiry-wait, and set expiry-target to your Trash group.
In the Trash group itself, use a larger expiry-wait and no
expiry-target.

paul

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-17 21:30 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2001-08-17 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dings

A slight refinement:  After "deleting" an article by moving it to Trash,
we want to move to the next message.

(defun move-article-to-Trash (&optional n)
  (interactive "P")
  (gnus-summary-move-article n "Trash")
  (gnus-summary-next-article n))
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-20 15:18   ` Peter Solodov
From: Peter Solodov @ 2001-08-20 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
> Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
>> In order to be more compatible with other mail readers who don't
>> have Gnus's notion of expiration (such as Mozilla), it seems to me
>> it would make sense to "delete" a message by moving it to a Trash
>> folder.
>> But perhaps there is a better way?
>
> Use a small expiry-wait, and set expiry-target to your Trash group.
> In the Trash group itself, use a larger expiry-wait and no
> expiry-target.

This is not a better way. I'm subscribed to some mailing
lists. Messages go to separate groups and expiry-wait there is one
week and messages are just removed. For my private mail I have
separate group and special expiry-target. expiry-wait is somewhat
longer.

The problem comes when I get some junk in my private mail
group. There's no nice way to get rid of it (I don't want it to saved
in archives). I have to either delete it with 'B DEL', which I don't
like, or move it to 'junk' group where it will be gone quite soon :-)

So, are there any suggestions in this situation?

P.S. 'd' shouldn't be used to move articles to trash folder. I have 'A
d' binding for this.

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-20 16:22     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-20 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Solodov <solodov@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
>> Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
>>> But perhaps there is a better way?
>>
>> Use a small expiry-wait, and set expiry-target to your Trash group.
>> In the Trash group itself, use a larger expiry-wait and no
>> expiry-target.
>
> This is not a better way.

You're describing a problem different from Per's, so it's not
surprising that my suggestion doesn't help you - it wasn't aimed at
your problem.

> The problem comes when I get some junk in my private mail
> group. There's no nice way to get rid of it (I don't want it to saved
> in archives). I have to either delete it with 'B DEL', which I don't
> like, or move it to 'junk' group where it will be gone quite soon :-)

So you want to apply different treatment to articles from the same
group, but you don't like the existing key bindings for doing it?
Why don't you just bind gnus-summary-delete-article to another key?
Or, if you don't want to be prompted, bind this function:
(lambda (&optional n)
  (interactive "P")
  (flet ((gnus-yes-or-no-p (lambda (&rest args) t)))
    (gnus-summary-delete-article n)))

Or something like that.  I've never used flet, so I'm not sure I'm
doing that correctly.

> P.S. 'd' shouldn't be used to move articles to trash folder.

It isn't.  It's used to mark an article as read.

paul

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-20 22:39       ` Peter Solodov
From: Peter Solodov @ 2001-08-20 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
> You're describing a problem different from Per's, so it's not
> surprising that my suggestion doesn't help you - it wasn't aimed at
> your problem.

Yes, my problem is a bit different. But just a little :-)

> So you want to apply different treatment to articles from the same
> group, but you don't like the existing key bindings for doing it?
> Why don't you just bind gnus-summary-delete-article to another key?

I recall now. The problem is that I have special expiry-target. So
when I delete an article, it goes through the expiry process (is it
supposed to be like that?) and ends up in my archives, which is
clearly not what I want. So moving to trash is a perfect solution for
me.

> Or, if you don't want to be prompted, bind this function:
> (lambda (&optional n)
>   (interactive "P")
>   (flet ((gnus-yes-or-no-p (lambda (&rest args) t)))
>     (gnus-summary-delete-article n)))
>
> Or something like that.  I've never used flet, so I'm not sure I'm
> doing that correctly.

You sure haven't :-)

(lambda (&optional n)
    (interactive "P")
    (flet ((gnus-yes-or-no-p (args) t))
        (gnus-summary-delete-article n)))

This is what you meant (I think). I'm no LISP guru, but the first
version didn't work :-)

>> P.S. 'd' shouldn't be used to move articles to trash folder.
>
> It isn't.  It's used to mark an article as read.

It was in the initially proposed solution.

Peter.

* Re: delete as moving to Trash
@ 2001-08-21  5:22         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-21  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Solodov <solodov@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:
>> So you want to apply different treatment to articles from the same
>> group, but you don't like the existing key bindings for doing it?
>> Why don't you just bind gnus-summary-delete-article to another key?
>
> I recall now. The problem is that I have special expiry-target. So
> when I delete an article, it goes through the expiry process (is it
> supposed to be like that?) and ends up in my archives, which is
> clearly not what I want. So moving to trash is a perfect solution for
> me.

(defun move-article-to-trash (&optional n)
  (gnus-summary-move-article n "nnfoo:trash-group"))
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map [?\C-c ?d] 'move-article-to-trash)

You could also do it as a keyboard macro.

paul