From: Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Splitting based on body content
Date: 14 Aug 2000 13:46:04 -0400	[thread overview]

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> I've been much tempted to do something like this, for SPAM filtering, but
> feel a bit torn out.  Doing from Gnus would be comfortable, as it offers
> a lot of flexibility and configurability, but it would be really slow.

That's why I have a PIII 700.  Personally, I'm not concerned with how
long it takes, because it takes much longer for me to refile these
things by hand.  Also, the way I have my fancy-splitting set up, the
body check is only going to happen for a handful of messages a
day... probably about 1-5% of my daily mail input.

I could do it in procmail, piping it to some script which found the
hdc number and created the appropriate spool file, but it's so easy to
make it create a new group in Gnus.  (Well, for subjects.  It would be
for bodies too.)  But I don't seem to recall that Gnus autosubscribed
groups it found through the procmail spool.

Now, spam filtering should probably be done somewhere else, since you
don't care about autocreating groups and you definately want to scan
all messages for spam, so you're going to see a much bigger hit.

88 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes, 28 seconds till we run away.
She's genuinely bogus.