* "Window height 0 too small (after splitting)"
@ 1999-10-18 14:21 Kaspar Landsberg
From: Kaspar Landsberg @ 1999-10-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

after installing a new Linux distribution from scratch (SuSE 6.2), i am no
longer able to read mails or news because each time i try to read an
article by hitting return in the summary buffer, i get the following error
message:

"Window heigt 0 too small (after splitting)"

(I am just being displayed a buffer named *nntpd*.)

I think that i am running pgnus-0.97 (at least, i installed it and then
put the appropriate command in the .emacs file as described in the Gnus
README -- how can i actually make Gnus display its version while it's
running?) and "XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald" [Lucid] (i386-suse-linux, Mule) of
Fri Jul 23 1999 on escher" on "Linux kl 2.2.10 #1 Tue Jul 20 16:32:24 MEST
1999 i586 unknown".

I tried to produce a backtrace but in the documentation it wasn't said how
to do that. Then i tried to use "M-x gnus-bug" but that failed due to the
same error described above. :p

Here's what i found about that error message on the Gnus-mailinglist:

From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaspar Landsberg <kl@snafu.de> writes:

> I think that i am running pgnus-0.97 (at least, i installed it and then
> put the appropriate command in the .emacs file as described in the Gnus
> README -- how can i actually make Gnus display its version while it's
> running?) and "XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald" [Lucid] (i386-suse-linux, Mule) of
> Fri Jul 23 1999 on escher" on "Linux kl 2.2.10 #1 Tue Jul 20 16:32:24 MEST
> 1999 i586 unknown".

I think a minimal aquaintance with Emacs and Lisp is necessary for
using alpha/development software.  Do you really, really, _really_
want to use development versions if you don't know what to do when a
bug crops up?  Apropos is your friend.  Search for "gnus.*version" or
"version.*gnus" for useful functions and variables.  M-x apropos RET
is not the same as C-h a.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: "Window height 0 too small (after splitting)"
@ 1999-10-19 13:11   ` Kaspar Landsberg
From: Kaspar Landsberg @ 1999-10-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 05:36:28PM +0200, Kai Großjohann wrote:

| I think a minimal aquaintance with Emacs and Lisp is necessary for
| using alpha/development software.  Do you really, really, _really_
| want to use development versions if you don't know what to do when a
| bug crops up?

Well, yes.

a) because i need the new features in the devel version
b) because i probably won't find any bugs in the production version so
   there is no good way to learn how to deal with bugs other than using a
   devel version :)

| Apropos is your friend.  Search for "gnus.*version" or
| "version.*gnus" for useful functions and variables.  M-x apropos RET
| is not the same as C-h a.

Tried apropos but apparently i didnt feed it correctly. Well, now i found
the right command. Thanks. :)

Btw, coming back to the original problem: It is apparently only related to
pgnus-0.97 because everything works fine with Gnus v5.5.

If, in order to fix that problem, further information is needed, i will
happily try to produce it.

Bye, Kasi

--
Kaspar Landsberg, <kl@kl.Snafu.DE>

* Re: "Window height 0 too small (after splitting)"
@ 1999-10-19 13:59     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kaspar Landsberg <kl@kl.Snafu.DE> writes:

> Btw, coming back to the original problem: It is apparently only related to
> pgnus-0.97 because everything works fine with Gnus v5.5.

Try this URL: http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199910/msg00359.html

It contains stuff about setting the locale.  Does that work for you?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: "Window height 0 too small (after splitting)"
@ 1999-10-19 19:41       ` Kaspar Landsberg
From: Kaspar Landsberg @ 1999-10-19 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kaspar Landsberg <kl@kl.Snafu.DE> writes:
>
> > Btw, coming back to the original problem: It is apparently only related to
> > pgnus-0.97 because everything works fine with Gnus v5.5.
>
> Try this URL: http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199910/msg00359.html
>
> It contains stuff about setting the locale.  Does that work for you?

that URL refers to my own mail. ;-)

And as i said in that mail, i tried all the stuff suggested there
without success. The problem still remains.

But (as i also said) i was not very sure where or how to put those
environment variables to make xemacs take them into consideration.

I tried quite some variants (like exporting a variable after starting
X, before, in an X-term, etc.) but all that didnt help.

Now for the time being i am back to Gnus v5.5 but if this error
message is originating from a bug (and since everything appears to
work fine with v5.5 i think it does), it should get fixed.

Bye, Kasi

--

@ 1999-10-20  2:30 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-10-20  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kaspar Landsberg

> Try setting $LANG to "C". AFAIK its a bug in the locale
> management. At least this was the solution which often helped.

> In fact XEmacs 20.4 seems to have problems with locale settings
> other than english. In my case the following settings successfully removed the problem
> (thanks to Werner Fink from SuSE):
>
>                           unset LANG
>                           export LC_TIME="POSIX"
>                           export LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
>                           export LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"

> Then i tried POSIX:
>
> kl@kl:~ > export LANG=""
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_TIME="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > export LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> kl@kl:~ > xemacs

I don't think what you tried corresponds to what was suggested.
Try either

  export LANG="C"

or

  unset LANG

Setting LANG to "" is probably different from the second one.

(I know nothing about this problem, except to have noticed that
the suggestions you posted weren't the same as what you tried.)

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: "Window height 0 too small (after splitting)"
@ 1999-10-20 17:26   ` Kaspar Landsberg
From: Kaspar Landsberg @ 1999-10-20 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

| I don't think what you tried corresponds to what was suggested.
| Try either
|
|   export LANG="C"
|
| or
|
|   unset LANG
|
| Setting LANG to "" is probably different from the second one.
|
| (I know nothing about this problem, except to have noticed that
| the suggestions you posted weren't the same as what you tried.)

thanks for the suggestion, but this didnt solve the problem either. Same
error message.

Bye, Kasi

--
Kaspar Landsberg, <kl@kl.Snafu.DE>