* Newbie: clarification on agent
@ 1999-02-20  9:36 Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir
From: Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir @ 1999-02-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

entering newbie mode:-
pgnus-0.76, Xemacs-21.2.10-Beta (on Linux & NT)

I'm very new to gnus, so pardon me if these are very stupid.
I'm very interested in using  Gnus as offline newsreader and reading mail.
I have no problem with email but I have a few questions on Gnus unplugged
w.r.t. news.

In the beginning, since I'm not familiar yet with scoring, I just like it
to download
all the articles which are not already on my HD (maximum only 50 say) from
the news server, when I'm plugged.

At this point I'm only subscribed to "gnu.emacs.gnus", and I've added  it to
the "default" category. I've made the predicate of the category "true". (Is
this
right? since my intention is to download all articles), but I left the the
scoring at
default (nil) since I'm not familiar yet.

What I like to do is when I'm in the group buffer, when I pressed J s , I
would like
all new articles to be downloaded, instead have to manually mark the articles
individually before downloading. Is there a way to this automatically?
 Again sorry for my stupidity.

Another major point, which I've not found out how to do is how to read the
articles
which I've already read. i.e. how is it I display all the read plus the
unread articles
when I'm in the summary buffer.

Sorry for these newbie questions.

Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir
mansur@tm.net.my

* Re: Newbie: clarification on agent
@ 1999-02-21 10:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-21 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir <mansur@tm.net.my> writes:

> At this point I'm only subscribed to "gnu.emacs.gnus", and I've added
> it to the "default" category.

You shouldn't have to do that since all groups that belong to no other
category belong to the default category.

> What I like to do is when I'm in the group buffer, when I pressed J s
> , I would like all new articles to be downloaded, instead have to
> manually mark the articles individually before downloading. Is there a
> way to this automatically?

What does `p' on the default category say, exactly?

> Another major point, which I've not found out how to do is how to read
> the articles which I've already read. i.e. how is it I display all the
> read plus the unread articles when I'm in the summary buffer.

`C-u RET'.