* Background mail scannig?
@ 1999-02-12 19:45 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-02-12 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

My gnus mail setup includes 2 pop servers. Normal (foreground)
scanning works fine. But when I did:

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 4 nil)

I *do* see the message from nnml that it is reading mail from pop each
4 minutes, but it does not actually retrieve any mail, seems like it's
not doing anything at all besides printing the message. What am I
missing?  Thanks. (Using v 0.76.)

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: Background mail scannig?
@ 1999-02-13 13:57 ` Karel Sprenger
From: Karel Sprenger @ 1999-02-13 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding

Hi,

>>> On 12 Feb 1999 14:45:54 -0500, Dmitry Yaitskov (Dmitry) wrote:
Dmitry>
Dmitry> Hi,
Dmitry> My gnus mail setup includes 2 pop servers. Normal (foreground)
Dmitry> scanning works fine. But when I did:
Dmitry>
Dmitry> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 4 nil)
Dmitry>
Dmitry> I *do* see the message from nnml that it is reading mail from pop each
Dmitry> 4 minutes, but it does not actually retrieve any mail, seems like it's
Dmitry> not doing anything at all besides printing the message. What am I
Dmitry> missing?  Thanks. (Using v 0.76.)
Dmitry>

I also use 2 pop servers and noticed this behaviour too. To my amazement I
found that with my setup

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news  nil  60)
;(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail    5 nil)
(gnus-demon-init)

the mail from the pop servers *is* retrieved and stored in the mail folders
indicated by nnmail-split-fancy.  My guess is that the scan-mail demon is
intended for 'real' mail files.

Cheers,
Karel

--
Karel Sprenger <ks@ic.uva.nl>               | phone: +31-20-525 2302
Informatiseringscentrum                     |        +31-20-525 2741

* Re: Background mail scannig? - works now, kinda...
@ 1999-02-13 16:57 ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-02-13 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> My gnus mail setup includes 2 pop servers. Normal (foreground)
> scanning works fine. But when I did:
>
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-mail 4 nil)
>
> I *do* see the message from nnml that it is reading mail from pop each
> 4 minutes, but it does not actually retrieve any mail, seems like it's
> not doing anything at all besides printing the message. What am I
> missing?  Thanks. (Using v 0.76.)

After fiddling with it a bit, I noticed that manually executing
(gnus-demon-scan-mail) complains about non-existent variable
nnmail-fetched-sources. After I "manually" executed (defvar
nnmail-fetched-sources nil) in my scratch buffer, the demonic mail
fetching started to work. I do not know lisp, so am not sure what
exactly is the problem here.

Another problem with this is: if the group buffer (with the list of
all groups) is open (i.e. I have gnus "running"), it is not updated by
gnus-demon-scan-mail, even when it does fetch new mail. I am not sure
if this is intentional or not. BTW, even after a normal check for new
news in the main gnus buffer, if a group summary buffer already
exists, and a new article arrives in that group, the group summary
buffer is not updated I think. Should be, don't you think?

And yet another problem is this: when the demonic mail fetching is in
progress, emacs momentarily "hangs", not reacting to key presses till
the background process is over. Is this inherent to emacs?

(I am using Gnus v0.76, xemacs 21.2 on NT.)

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* nnmail-fetched-sources (was: Re: Background mail scannig? - works now, kinda...)
@ 1999-02-14 19:05   ` George J McNinch
From: George J McNinch @ 1999-02-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dmitry> After fiddling with it a bit, I noticed that manually
    Dmitry> executing (gnus-demon-scan-mail) complains about
    Dmitry> non-existent variable nnmail-fetched-sources. After I
    Dmitry> "manually" executed (defvar nnmail-fetched-sources nil) in
    Dmitry> my scratch buffer, the demonic mail fetching started to
    Dmitry> work.

I've seen this error. In pgnus-0.76, if I M-g on a group in the group
buffer I'm told the same (non-existent variable). It seems somehow
that the relevant parts of nnmail are not being autoloaded (?). For me
"M-x load-library nnmail" fixes the problem.

The same seems to be true of gnus-draft (resending doesn't work 'til I
M-x load-libary gnus-draft...)

Am I misconfigured somehow?

* Re: nnmail-fetched-sources (was: Re: Background mail scannig? - works now, kinda...)
@ 1999-02-14 19:24     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-02-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

George J McNinch <McNinch.1@nd.edu> writes:

> I've seen this error. In pgnus-0.76, if I M-g on a group in the
> group buffer I'm told the same (non-existent variable). It seems
> somehow that the relevant parts of nnmail are not being autoloaded
> (?). For me "M-x load-library nnmail" fixes the problem.
>
> The same seems to be true of gnus-draft (resending doesn't work 'til
> I M-x load-libary gnus-draft...)

These could be more instances of the infamous autoloading-within-let
problem, as demonstrated by:

(let ((some-variable nil))
  ... code that happens to autoload the module where some-variable
      is defined...
  )

;; some-variable is now unbound!

* Re: nnmail-fetched-sources (was: Re: Background mail scannig? - works now, kinda...)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-19 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> These could be more instances of the infamous autoloading-within-let
> problem,

Indeedy.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.77.