* Character translation weirdness in Article mode
@ 1999-01-27 21:03 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-01-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using pgnus-0.74 under XEmacs 21.2-beta4.

I'm noticing some weird character translation only when viewing
an article in Article mode.  I'm not sure when this started ...
probably some time after version 0.70.

Certain characters are getting changed into other characters,
seemingly only in Article mode.  They look correct in Message mode.
Here's a table of how two characters are being altered.  Most (all?)
other characters are fine.

   Actual Character      Article Mode       Message Mode
   ----------------      ------------       ------------

      =  [0x3d]           :  [0x3a]           = [0x3d]

      >  [0x3e]           )  [0x29]           > [0x3e]

This occurs whether or not I have `message-default-charset' set (I
doubt that this would be the cause but it's the only change I made
recently which I thought might have an effect).

This doesn't appear to have anything to do with any MIME headers that
might be present in messages, since this seems to occur in every
message I view which contains these characters.  A spot check shows at
least some of these messages as having no MIME-related headers at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Character translation weirdness in Article mode
@ 1999-01-27 21:24 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-01-27 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'm using pgnus-0.74 under XEmacs 21.2-beta4.
>
> I'm noticing some weird character translation only when viewing
> an article in Article mode.  I'm not sure when this started ...
> probably some time after version 0.70.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> This doesn't appear to have anything to do with any MIME headers that
> might be present in messages, since this seems to occur in every
> message I view which contains these characters.  A spot check shows at
> least some of these messages as having no MIME-related headers at all.

Correction:  this *only* occurs when there are MIME headers ... even
if there are no attachments and the content type is `text/plain' with
a `7bit' character encoding.

--

@ 1999-01-28  7:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-28  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Certain characters are getting changed into other characters,
> seemingly only in Article mode.  They look correct in Message mode.
> Here's a table of how two characters are being altered.  Most (all?)
> other characters are fine.
>
>    Actual Character      Article Mode       Message Mode
>    ----------------      ------------       ------------
>
>       =  [0x3d]           :  [0x3a]           = [0x3d]
>
>       >  [0x3e]           )  [0x29]           > [0x3e]

Way weird.  Could you try to start Emacs with "-q -no-site-file" to
avoid any local customizations?

* Re: Character translation weirdness in Article mode
@ 1999-02-06  0:57   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-02-06  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > Certain characters are getting changed into other characters,
> > seemingly only in Article mode.  They look correct in Message mode.
> > Here's a table of how two characters are being altered.  Most (all?)
> > other characters are fine.
> >
> >    Actual Character      Article Mode       Message Mode
> >    ----------------      ------------       ------------
> >
> >       =  [0x3d]           :  [0x3a]           = [0x3d]
> >
> >       >  [0x3e]           )  [0x29]           > [0x3e]
>
> Way weird.  Could you try to start Emacs with "-q -no-site-file" to
> avoid any local customizations?

Yep.  I just tried that (yeah, I know this is about 10 days late).
And I still get this weird character translation.

What sort of configuration settings in either XEmacs (21.2-beta4) or
Gnus (pgnus-0.75) might affect how these characters are translated in
Article mode?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--

@ 1999-02-06  1:07     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-02-06  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> >
> > > Certain characters are getting changed into other characters,
> > > seemingly only in Article mode.  They look correct in Message mode.
> > > Here's a table of how two characters are being altered.  Most (all?)
> > > other characters are fine.
> > >
> > >    Actual Character      Article Mode       Message Mode
> > >    ----------------      ------------       ------------
> > >
> > >       =  [0x3d]           :  [0x3a]           = [0x3d]
> > >
> > >       >  [0x3e]           )  [0x29]           > [0x3e]
> >
> > Way weird.  Could you try to start Emacs with "-q -no-site-file" to
> > avoid any local customizations?
>
> Yep.  I just tried that (yeah, I know this is about 10 days late).
> And I still get this weird character translation.
>
> What sort of configuration settings in either XEmacs (21.2-beta4) or
> Gnus (pgnus-0.75) might affect how these characters are translated in
> Article mode?
>
> Any ideas?

Well, as a matter of fact, yes.  I went through the various
customization variables concerning Article mode, and I found one that
had to do with smileys.  It was set to "on".  I might have explicitly
set it some time in the past, or maybe that was the default ... I'm
not sure.  Anyway, once I set it to "off", the problem went away.

> Thanks in advance.

My pleasure!  :)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Well, as a matter of fact, yes.  I went through the various
> customization variables concerning Article mode, and I found one that
> had to do with smileys.  It was set to "on".

In 0.76, at least, it shouldn't default to t unless you have an
xpm-capable XEmacs...