From: Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
Subject: Re: MML: The Summation
Date: 18 Nov 1998 14:14:45 +0300	[thread overview]

"LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 >> I think that with the user interface that I'm dreaming of the user
 >> wouldn't have to enter "<part>" in his text in order to switch
 >> from Chinese text to Japanese text.

I think that this is a BAD THING (TM) Gnus MUST NOT try to change the
structure of a message if user did not asked this explicitly. For
example, what should happen if one writes a mixed
chinese-japanese-russian-norwegian text? In which each paragraph and
each sentence contains quotes from all those languages (e.g. a
multilingual dictionary). Gnus in no way should try to divide that
message into parts.

All that Gnus should do is: maintain a list of coding system to
charset transformations. And use that list to encode the text from
Emacs buffer to the charset which can fit all symbols used in that
buffer. For example, if i write a mixed russian-japanese text, gnus
should use a japanese encoding in mime part, because the japanese
encoding contains russian characters as well. In short, gnus should
not use any `auto-magic', and should try to find a charset which
contains all characters appearing in a buffer using a translation
list. This is how SEMI does things.

 >> The very fact that the Chinese text is using a Chinese font and
 >> the Japanese text is in a Japanese font gives enough information
 >> for the MIME user-interface to know that they are two different
 >> parts and to have the appropriate MIME information inserted either
 >> after the user hits `C-c C-c' to send the message or on the fly
 >> when the user changes fonts using some invisible text or other
 >> marker.

No, please. It is incorrect and broken broken broken.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.