* Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-24 19:40 Anders Melchiorsen
From: Anders Melchiorsen @ 1998-08-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have set some posting styles to let me use a different, spammer
confusing e-mail address (see above) when posting to widely spread
groups or mailing lists. However, I still like my unaltered address to
be used in personal e-mails.

The problem is that if I reply (as opposed to follow up) in a
newsgroup the obfuscated address is still used. Is there a way to,
within the same group, use a different address for replies than for
follow ups?

I guess I am looking for some clever function to determine if I am
replying or following up, but I am not too fluent in Lisp so I cannot
figure out how to implement this, I must sadly admit.

I would much rather implement this as part of the posting styles than
as some hook, but if a hook is the only way I will definately
appreciate response on how to do that.

The relevant part of my posting styles looks like this:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
         (address "postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk")
	 )

	("^nnml:mail\\|k-net\\|list.netgrp"
	 (address "name@real.address.dk"))))

Thanks!

--
Regards, Anders
(address is valid)

Maier's Law:
If the facts don't conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.
Corollaries:
(1) The bigger the theory, the better.
(2) The experiment may be considered a success if no more than 50% of the
    observed measurements must be discarded to obtain a correspondence
    with the theory.

* Re: Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-25  6:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-25  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders Melchiorsen <postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk> writes:

> I have set some posting styles to let me use a different, spammer
> confusing e-mail address (see above) when posting to widely spread
> groups or mailing lists. However, I still like my unaltered address to
> be used in personal e-mails.

This is not a good idea.  The From header in all news articles should
be valid.

> The problem is that if I reply (as opposed to follow up) in a
> newsgroup the obfuscated address is still used. Is there a way to,
> within the same group, use a different address for replies than for
> follow ups?

Yes.  You can check the dynamically bound variables
`message-this-is-{news,mail}'.  I've now documented this in the
manual.

Doing stuff like this still means sending out mails with invalid From
header when doing combined messages.

I do receive some mails with invalid From headers, and I never
notice.  When they bounce, I let them drop.  I do not try to figure
out what the real address is supposed to be.  I'm probably not the
only one, so mangling From headers is not only a bad idea for
ideological reasons, but in practice as well.

* Re: Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-25 12:08   ` Anders Melchiorsen
From: Anders Melchiorsen @ 1998-08-25 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is not a good idea.  The From header in all news articles should
> be valid.

I know. And my From address is, in fact, valid (see signature). I find
it quite clever to actually INCLUDE a "nospam." part in the address
and thus confuse spamming software; the only problem is if humans
start messing with the address because they are used to invalid From
headers. Removing "nospam." WILL make the address invalid.

> Yes.  You can check the dynamically bound variables
> `message-this-is-{news,mail}'.  I've now documented this in the
> manual.

Thanks, I will try to get something going.

> I do receive some mails with invalid From headers, and I never
> notice.  When they bounce, I let them drop.  I do not try to figure
> out what the real address is supposed to be.  I'm probably not the
> only one, so mangling From headers is not only a bad idea for
> ideological reasons, but in practice as well.

I feel exactly the same way which is why I am using a valid From
header. But to confuse people as little as possible I still would want
mails to have my "real" address.

--
Regards, Anders
(address is valid)

* Re: Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-25 12:55   ` Anders Melchiorsen
From: Anders Melchiorsen @ 1998-08-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes.  You can check the dynamically bound variables
> `message-this-is-{news,mail}'.  I've now documented this in the
> manual.

I have tried to do this, and while it works for newsgroups it does
nothing different for mailing lists.

Is there a way to distinguish whether I am sending a reply to the
mailing list or if I am in fact answering someone personally? (F or R
keys used to reply).

`message-this-is-mail' seems to be the same in either case, as does
checking on the name on the group. That actually seems correct so
perhaps I am simply asking for too much? :-).

--
Regards, Anders
(address is valid)

* Re: Post with different address?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders Melchiorsen <postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk> writes:

> Is there a way to distinguish whether I am sending a reply to the
> mailing list or if I am in fact answering someone personally?

Uhm...  I don't think so.

* Re: Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-25 16:50       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-25 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Anders Melchiorsen <postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk> writes:
  >
  > > Is there a way to distinguish whether I am sending a reply to the
  > > mailing list or if I am in fact answering someone personally?
  >
  > Uhm...  I don't think so.

Hm.  After `r', the buffer is named `*reply to...*', after `f', it is
named `*wide reply to...*'.  Does that help?  Maybe there's an
internal variable other than the buffer name which can be used?

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: Post with different address?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Hm.  After `r', the buffer is named `*reply to...*', after `f', it is
> named `*wide reply to...*'.  Does that help?  Maybe there's an
> internal variable other than the buffer name which can be used?

The buffer name would probably be the most likely suspect, I think.

* Re: Post with different address?
@ 1998-08-25 18:12       ` Jari Aalto+list.ding
From: Jari Aalto+list.ding @ 1998-08-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

| 1998-08-25 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> list.ding
| Anders Melchiorsen <postmaster@and.nospam.kampsax.k-net.dk> writes:
|
| > Is there a way to distinguish whether I am sending a reply to the
| > mailing list or if I am in fact answering someone personally?
|
| Uhm...  I don't think so.

I make the decision based on Group parameter to-list. If it exists
for group, then this group is mailing list. At least I have set
all Mailing list groups so.

        (gnus-group-get-parameter group 'to-list)

jari