* Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 12:13 David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-04-16 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's something I wondered for years, but never eared to ask. The
README says

"Do not say "make install".  I repeat, do *NOT* say "make install".  If
you say "make install" and then complain about things not working,
I'll be very annoyed."

Why not simply remove the 'install' rule, then? (Or, you know, fix it
*duck*).

-David

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 13:22 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-04-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Here's something I wondered for years, but never eared to ask. The
> README says

> "Do not say "make install".  I repeat, do *NOT* say "make install".  If
> you say "make install" and then complain about things not working,
> I'll be very annoyed."

> Why not simply remove the 'install' rule, then? (Or, you know, fix it
> *duck*).

Not that I care a lot either way, but after setting the directories for my environment with configure, make install works exactly as expected for me.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 13:31 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2011-04-16 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> "Do not say "make install".  I repeat, do *NOT* say "make install".
> If you say "make install" and then complain about things not working,
> I'll be very annoyed."

I have never had a problem with make install. It has always worked for
me. You just need to "configure" it properly.

Charles

--
"It's God.  No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 15:16   ` Ted Zlatanov
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-16 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:22:55 -0400 david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) wrote:

DG> Not that I care a lot either way, but after setting the directories
DG> for my environment with configure, make install works exactly as
DG> expected for me.

I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually.  That's much cleaner
than configure+make.  Lars, WDYT?  Another TODO item for Cloudy Gnus or
for the trash heap?

Ted

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 16:34   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2011-04-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

DG> Not that I care a lot either way, but after setting the directories
DG> for my environment with configure, make install works exactly as
DG> expected for me.

Make install is also used with complete success by the Gentoo ebuilds.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-16 19:27   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-16 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@bell.net> writes:

> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> "Do not say "make install".  I repeat, do *NOT* say "make install".
>> If you say "make install" and then complain about things not working,
>> I'll be very annoyed."
>
> I have never had a problem with make install. It has always worked for
> me. You just need to "configure" it properly.
>
> Charles

It probably depends on the distro I would guess.

Debian can get into a right mess with emacs at times.

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-17  9:30     ` Leonidas Tsampros
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-04-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:22:55 -0400 david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) wrote:
>
> DG> Not that I care a lot either way, but after setting the directories
> DG> for my environment with configure, make install works exactly as
> DG> expected for me.
>
> I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually.  That's much cleaner
> than configure+make.  Lars, WDYT?  Another TODO item for Cloudy Gnus or
> for the trash heap?
>
> Ted

Well that would be super nice! :)

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-17 10:36     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2011-04-17 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually. That's much cleaner
> than configure+make.

  Does ELPA speak XEmacs ?

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: Removing 'install'?
@ 2011-04-17 14:28     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-04-17 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:22:55 -0400 david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave
> Goldberg) wrote:

DG> Not that I care a lot either way, but after setting the directories
DG> for my environment with configure, make install works exactly as
DG> expected for me.

> I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually.  That's much cleaner
> than configure+make.  Lars, WDYT?  Another TODO item for Cloudy Gnus or
> for the trash heap?

The only concern I'd have is if that adds any difficulty for use with XEmacs.

--

@ 2011-04-18 16:30       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:36:17 +0200 Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> wrote:

dvl> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

>> I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually. That's much cleaner
>> than configure+make.

dvl>   Does ELPA speak XEmacs ?

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:28:42 -0400 david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) wrote:

DG> The only concern I'd have is if that adds any difficulty for use with XEmacs.

package.el is the issue.  The ELPA standard is just a web site with a
metadata file.  So I don't know if package.el works on XEmacs but they
have their own package system.

IMO it would be really nice to the Gnus users to provide a way to pull a
nightly build as a package, both in the GNU ELPA and in XEmacs (whatever
the package system).  I can set up the nightly update of the GNU ELPA,
and making Gnus itself into a package should be pretty easy (famous last
words).  I don't know enough about XEmacs to say.

Ted

* Re: Removing 'install'?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-01 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'd like to make Gnus an ELPA package eventually.  That's much cleaner
> than configure+make.  Lars, WDYT?  Another TODO item for Cloudy Gnus or
> for the trash heap?

Well...  the development Gnus is, like, development Gnus, and I don't
really want to inflict it on people who aren't following the
development.

But putting each released version into ELPA I wouldn't mind.