From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Removed forward slash?
Date: 17 Jul 1999 09:52:44 -0700	[thread overview]

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> écrit:
>
> > However, looking through the material at the node suggested [`Article
> > Fontisizing'] I discovered no clue as to which thing should be set to
> > "nil" to stop this from happening.  "s" searches on "italic" or "forward
> > slash" were no more helpful.
>
> Let me see.  The quoted node immediately speaks about `gnus-emphasis-alist',
> which you may modify.  As it makes it pretty clear that Lars calls
> `emphasis' the set of phenomena it describes, you might have searched on
> `emphasis' and been more successful...  The node also contains a clear
> `*Note' pointing to the `Customizing Articles' node, and in that node,
> you find the variable `gnus-treat-emphasize', preceded by an explanation
> of possible values.  Are you sure you were really seeking for clues? :-)

Not to belabor the point, but, lets try this again: Following the clues
you've given. Article Fonticizing.. regexp there has forward slashes
conspicouisly absent. I quickly found the customizing Articles section you
point to.  Neither the first reference you mentioned nor Customizing
Articles, gives any indication that a forward slash is used to
"emphasize" anything, let alone italicized text. A  full "s" search on
`gnus-article-emphasize'  give two hits, same holds true for
`gnus-emphasis-alist'.  None of those hits make reference to forward
slash.

Now let me ask you if you are sure what you think of as clues are
really clues or are only clues if you already know that forward
slashes emphasize italicized words.  A bit of catch-22 here.

> The problem is that we may have /varying/ purposes.  For example, in the
> previous sentence, I put "varying" between slashes with the purpose that
> you will see it italicised. :-)

Point well taken..

And remedy at hand ..