* gnus-agentize: Catchup undownloaded overwrites download marks
@ 1997-11-26 21:13 uzs452
From: uzs452 @ 1997-11-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

after fetching groups, entering summary buffer and browsing headers I mark
some articles for download. If I then choose from the menu Agent/Catchup
undownloaded (J c) to process uninteressting headers my download marks are
overwritten. IMHO that´s not a feature...

Another one:
if I am online and step into a summary buffer I can read articles. That´s
the natural way if the news server is open everytime. But when I go
offline and unplug I am not able to enter the group. How can I do
something like gnus-agent-"update/rescan" ? This is the backtrace:

Signaling: (error "Couldn't request group rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles:
Opened server news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de using directory
~/News/agent/nntp/news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles: Opened
server news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de using directory
~/News/agent/nntp/news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/"))
  error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles"
"Opened server news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de using directory
~/News/agent/nntp/news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/")
  gnus-select-newsgroup("rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles" t)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles" t t nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("rhein.unibn.rhrz.aktuelles" t t nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group)

I am using

(setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'some)
(setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-uselong-filenames t)
(setq gnus-use-cache t)
(setq gnus-cache-enter-articles '(ticked dormant unread ))

It would be a nice feature if gnus-agentize changes entering a summary
buffer while online to fetch the group with agent. The same for entering
an article buffer: mark for download and download immediatily.

Do I need the cache or has the agent his own ? My cache directory is empty
at the moment, but ...

Is (setq gnus-uselong-filenames t) supposed to include agent-subdirs ? It
does not on my version. Downloaded articles are stored in
~/News/agent/nntp/news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/rhein/unibn/rhrz/misc/

As I start exploring qgnus there are a lot of questions/statements
/bug-reports concerning gnus-agentize to come. Is this the correct place ?
Should I sent it to bugs@gnus.org instead ? Or don´t you want such
´beta-tests on alpha-software´ ?

Johannes Niess

Quassia Gnus v0.15; nntp 5.0; nnvirtual 1.1; nnml 1.0; nnmh 1.0; nndoc
1.0; nnbabyl 1.0; nndraft 1.0; nnagent 1.0
GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (i386-suse-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of Tue Feb  4 1997 on
boole

* Re: gnus-agentize: Catchup undownloaded overwrites download marks
@ 1997-11-27 19:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

uzs452@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de writes:

> after fetching groups, entering summary buffer and browsing headers I mark
> some articles for download. If I then choose from the menu Agent/Catchup
> undownloaded (J c) to process uninteressting headers my download marks are
> overwritten.

Yup.  Fix in Quassia Gnus v0.18.

> if I am online and step into a summary buffer I can read articles. That´s
> the natural way if the news server is open everytime. But when I go
> offline and unplug I am not able to enter the group. How can I do
> something like gnus-agent-"update/rescan" ? This is the backtrace:

I don't quite follow -- you aren't able to enter groups when Gnus is
unplugged?

> It would be a nice feature if gnus-agentize changes entering a summary
> buffer while online to fetch the group with agent. The same for entering
> an article buffer: mark for download and download immediatily.

Well...  It would be nice, but not essential.

> Do I need the cache or has the agent his own ? My cache directory is empty
> at the moment, but ...

You don't need the cache.

> Is (setq gnus-uselong-filenames t) supposed to include agent-subdirs
> ?

No.

bugs@gnus.org will do fine.