* gnus-treat-[hide-citation[-maybe]]
@ 2011-09-02  5:31 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I was going to submit this as a Gnus bug, but I think it probably needs
some discussion here to be properly sorted out before it can divided
into sensible bug reports.

The documentation is very unclear about the difference between
`gnus-treat-hide-citation' and `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'.  The
`-maybe' is confusing, not least because all the treat- things are
applied conditionally.  So what makes `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
special is that there are more "maybes" that can apply. IMO they should
be combined into one variable.  I actually want the behavior of
`gnus-treat-hide-citation' with some of the conditional aspects of
`gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'.  That is, I'd like to apply it only to
sections *longer* than 6 lines.

Furthermore, I'd like that capability for all of the `treat-' things.
You give me the "integer" option which says "apply if the thing is less
than n characters," which seems like it must've been designed for an era
when CPU cycles were much more expensive than they are now, or for
people who get truly enormous messages.  But for any `treat-' action
whose business is hiding information that's going to get in my way, I
usually only want it when the thing in question gets really big.  For
example, I want to see peoples' signatures, but if their company forces
them to write an obnoxiously long disclaimer in the signature area,
well, I don't want to see that.

Sorry if this seems a bit rant-y, but it deals with a bunch of related
things which seem to be a bit tangled...

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: gnus-treat-[hide-citation[-maybe]]
@ 2011-09-10 20:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Furthermore, I'd like that capability for all of the `treat-' things.
> You give me the "integer" option which says "apply if the thing is less
> than n characters," which seems like it must've been designed for an era
> when CPU cycles were much more expensive than they are now, or for
> people who get truly enormous messages.

That era is approaching again, as Emacs moves to cell phones...  :-)

> But for any `treat-' action whose business is hiding information
> that's going to get in my way, I usually only want it when the thing
> in question gets really big.  For example, I want to see peoples'
> signatures, but if their company forces them to write an obnoxiously
> long disclaimer in the signature area, well, I don't want to see that.

Yes, having that treatment function only trigger on long signatures
would be nice.  So a way to specify a, er, sort of algorithm-specific
input to each treatment function would be nice.

Anyway, I've made the doc string of `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
more sensible.

* Re: gnus-treat-[hide-citation[-maybe]]
@ 2011-09-11 10:24   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-11 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sat Sep 10 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> Furthermore, I'd like that capability for all of the `treat-' things.
>> You give me the "integer" option which says "apply if the thing is less
>> than n characters," which seems like it must've been designed for an era
>> when CPU cycles were much more expensive than they are now, or for
>> people who get truly enormous messages.
>
> That era is approaching again, as Emacs moves to cell phones...  :-)

Meh; my phone is more powerful than that era's desktops

>> But for any `treat-' action whose business is hiding information
>> that's going to get in my way, I usually only want it when the thing
>> in question gets really big.  For example, I want to see peoples'
>> signatures, but if their company forces them to write an obnoxiously
>> long disclaimer in the signature area, well, I don't want to see that.
>
> Yes, having that treatment function only trigger on long signatures
> would be nice.  So a way to specify a, er, sort of algorithm-specific
> input to each treatment function would be nice.

One easy change would be to make negative numbers set a minimum length
for applicability.

> Anyway, I've made the doc string of `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
> more sensible.

"Hide cited text according to certain conditions?"

That's not much help.  Those "certain conditions"
(head,first,last,integer,predicate) seem to apply to all treatments.  If
so, saying "according to certain conditions" is more confusing than
helpful: it implies that the available conditions are different for this
treatment

Here's how I currently see these two treatments:

gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe: completely hide cited text
gnus-treat-hide-citation:       hide some portion of cited text

is this an inaccurate understanding?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-12  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> One easy change would be to make negative numbers set a minimum length
> for applicability.

Functions like -hide-maybe takes more than one parameter.

>> Anyway, I've made the doc string of `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
>> more sensible.
>
> "Hide cited text according to certain conditions?"

No, the main change is

See `gnus-cite-hide-percentage' and `gnus-cite-hide-absolute' for
how to control what it hides.

:-)

* Re: gnus-treat-[hide-citation[-maybe]]
@ 2011-09-12 13:19       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

on Mon Sep 12 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> One easy change would be to make negative numbers set a minimum length
>> for applicability.
>
> Functions like -hide-maybe takes more than one parameter.
>
>>> Anyway, I've made the doc string of `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
>>> more sensible.
>>
>> "Hide cited text according to certain conditions?"
>
> No, the main change is
>
> See `gnus-cite-hide-percentage' and `gnus-cite-hide-absolute' for
> how to control what it hides.

A similar blurb for gnus-treat-hide-citation might be a good idea.  It
too has other customizable parameters.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> A similar blurb for gnus-treat-hide-citation might be a good idea.  It
> too has other customizable parameters.

Yup; added.