* gnus-treat-[hide-citation[-maybe]]
@ 2011-09-02  5:31 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I was going to submit this as a Gnus bug, but I think it probably needs
some discussion here to be properly sorted out before it can divided
into sensible bug reports.

The documentation is very unclear about the difference between
`gnus-treat-hide-citation' and `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'.  The
`-maybe' is confusing, not least because all the treat- things are
applied conditionally.  So what makes `gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'
special is that there are more "maybes" that can apply. IMO they should
be combined into one variable.  I actually want the behavior of
`gnus-treat-hide-citation' with some of the conditional aspects of
`gnus-treat-hide-citation-maybe'.  That is, I'd like to apply it only to
sections *longer* than 6 lines.

Furthermore, I'd like that capability for all of the `treat-' things.
You give me the "integer" option which says "apply if the thing is less
than n characters," which seems like it must've been designed for an era
when CPU cycles were much more expensive than they are now, or for
people who get truly enormous messages.  But for any `treat-' action
whose business is hiding information that's going to get in my way, I
usually only want it when the thing in question gets really big.  For
example, I want to see peoples' signatures, but if their company forces
them to write an obnoxiously long disclaimer in the signature area,
well, I don't want to see that.

Sorry if this seems a bit rant-y, but it deals with a bunch of related
things which seem to be a bit tangled...

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing